Sidecar/utility box frame

keys55

Sidecar/utility box frame

Post by keys55 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:54 pm

I was pondering the idea of building a frame for a utility box and putting my locksmith equipment in it. A deep cycle battery and generator, etc.BUT I can not find any specs for sidecar/utility frames. I have seen a 80 page book on sidecars, but do not have it. I could just wing it, but thought I would ask.OR I could find an old frame, but no luck so far.

Billy

Re: Sidecar/utility box frame

Post by Billy » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:23 am

keys-

Might try http://www.fatdogvintagesalvage.com Bill has a '41 Packing truck (sidecar box) When U get on his site, Click on "Restoration Gallery" It's NOT For Sale, but may give ya some ideas He's a good guy, from the Flathead Power site, maybe he would give you some measurements. His site has pics of his bikes & the sidecar(package truck)....
Worth a look.. If U like it, won't hurt to ask..

PS: He deals in lots of good parts, NOS/repop & used.

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:08 pm

You may also want to try a Ural dealer. They have the box and frame like you want.
You could probably buy a used Ural with hack and toss the bike and still be ahead on $$$$.

Randy

keys55

Post by keys55 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:16 am

QUESTION. I currently have a stock front end . Do you notice a big difference in handling with the extra 3 degrees on the adjustable triple trees?

thsmith

Post by thsmith » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:04 pm

wrt the steering without adjustable trees or Springer, I just put a sidecar on my 49 that is a standard Hydra-glide and with the damping tighten down I have no issues, Not my idea but Cottens and it works.

Tracy

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:37 am

With reference to utility boxes:

My Wife's '65 runs a common pickuptruck tool box on a stock frame. It only requires six carriage bolts and a couple of short 4X4 pieces of lumber.
It gets plenty of attention, even when I ride it.
Nearly anything from a railcar toilet to a sauna cabinet can be adapted for a sidehack "appliance". Just make certain there is spring clearance for the main frame member. (That's what the 4X4s are for.)

Return to “Frame & Fittings”