Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

Neck Lock Plunger Dia.

Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Neck Lock Plunger Dia.

Post by Hauula Pan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:04 am

Can anyone tell me the diameter of the neck lock plunger that comes in V-Twin's neck lock kit? I measured it & wrote it down so I could drill the tree stem after lining everything up. (And promptly lost the paper I wrote it on) Since I already installed the spring, plunger & lock assy. I can't take it back out to measure it again. I guess I could stick different bits through the front hole and see what size looks like it matches up to the front of the plunger but it would be a lot easier if someone happens to know the right diameter.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Neck Lock Plunger Dia.

Post by Panacea » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:14 pm

As I recall it's 1/2". Mike

Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:02 pm

I was able to reach through the neck with a pair of long calipers and measure the front of the plunger, it was actually 3/8". Drilled the stem 1/4" deep and plunger fit but did not go in far enough to allow key removal. Drilled another 1/16th and counter-sunk the outer edge to follow the taper on the plunger and it works smooth.

Panacea

Post by Panacea » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:41 am

Did you use the clay method to locate the pin hole in the stem? Mike

Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:34 am

I painted the front of the plunger, wrapped a couple layers of masking tape around the stem, turned the tree to the left, and with the key brought the plunger fwd. against the tape. I also used a fine point marking pen to make a mark through the front hole. With a set of calipers and a straight edge I was able to make sure the mark from the painted plunger was for sure 180 deg. from the front mark. I center punched the painted mark, drilled a pilot hole and stepped up to the 3/8" hole. I didn't have any clay and figured I'd probably end up knocking it off pulling the stem out. Also I followed the steps and pics. I found posted on drilling the hole for the roll pin on the neck lock and it went together smoothly. I really appreciate that post. So finally after re-doing the chamfer on the frame neck so the bearing cups would sit flush, switching cups & bearings so the tins will fit, drilling the roll pin hole for the neck lock, drilling the tree stem for the lock plunger, and oh yeah, resealing the brand new fork tubes & sliders that leaked, the front end is together. I'm still waiting on the back ordered front brake so haven't got the wheel & tire on yet. I sure hope that at least fits properly. But if it comes like the rear one did, I'll have to ream the axle hole because they didn't account for the layer of chrome when they plated it. OK I've vented my frustration with the after market world. All in all it is actually going together fairly well. I appreciate the wealth of information I have gotten from the members of this Site. I know some of the articles and especially those with pictures have saved countless hours of trial and error, and probably having to re-buy a part or two due to the error part. So thanks again to everyone that shares their knowledge and experience here.

Panacea

Post by Panacea » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:07 am

Sounds like yours went smooth as silk! Mine started out as a welded over hole, both the front access hole and the lock hole. One stroke of luck was finding the old roll pin hole still in the side of the lock hole when I went to drill a new one, so the correct angle worked nicely to hold the V-Twin lock in place. The dampener pin boss was also chopped off so that was another thing I wanted to fix. I spent many hours just on frame repairs, (after the frame guy straightened and repaired busted mounts etc.) Mike

Return to “Frame & Fittings”