is there a way to adjust the seat height

Chassis, frame, instruments, fenders etc.
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
pan57

is there a way to adjust the seat height

Post by pan57 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:27 am

i am planing on taking a trip on my 57 but the seat i have on it is for show only so i was going to put the original big tractor seat on. the problem is that i am vertically challanged and would like to lower the seat or the post. and since i have never put a seat post on it, i was wondering is there any adjustement for seat post height. i did a search and could find nothing about seat height adjustment.

mbskeam

Re: is there a way to adjust the seat height

Post by mbskeam » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:16 am

you could pull out a spring in the pogo....
but this will affect the ride/comfort....
and the front of the seat may hit the tanks when you bottom out....and you will...LOL
I know that women ride these bikes now and in the past, so there must be a shorter version of this out there.....

awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:09 am

You can actually make the pogo stick(seatpost) shorter or longer. You will have the screw the threaded rod further into the assembly, so less of it is sticking out.

When I bought my '52, it had the seat post shortened almost 2", compared to that on my '64. The seat used to bottom out on the frame, so I adjusted it so it is a bit longer.

I posted on here asking if anyone could measure the stock seatpost assembly so I could see what it should be-I got no response.

And none of the manuals that I have looked through have any info on overall length-just the length thatthe springs should be set to.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:54 am

There is a few inches if thread on the bottom of the rod at the base of the post, so if you move the spring tension nut up an inch or so you can lower the rod an inch into the flat sided nut at the base of the frame. The side effect is now you can see the rod sticking out of the bottom...Mike

awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:11 am

On my '52, the rod was actually screwed up further into the plunger on the seatpost. The overall assembly was shorter.

pan57

Post by pan57 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:57 am

thanks for the help i was debating trying to get the seat post or not but with the adjustments that can be made i will be getting it. thanks again.

awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:20 pm

Keep in mind, the shorter the post, the more chance of the seat smacking the frame or the rear fender when you hit a big bump.

As I stated above, mine was horter, but it asn;t really the best way to do it, as I banged the fender or frame alot. I made it a bit longer and still have to be careful-when I hit a big bump I stand up on teh floorboards so it won;t bottom out.

There may be a way to make it stiffer as well, by compressingthe springs some more-I haven;t fooled with it too much.

ozwick86
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '59 Pan FLHF

Post by ozwick86 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:33 pm

Or you can install buddy seat helper springs on your solo seat like I have on mine.
P1010892sml (Small).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Chassis, Frame & Instruments”