handlebar advance cable

62wild1

handlebar advance cable

Post by 62wild1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:39 am

OK, I'm stumped. I have my 62 about ready to go and I hooked up the cable to the breaker and it will barely move it when I twist the grip. It seems like the sleeve is moving inside the handlebar so I ordered a new cable with the collar that threads onto the sleeve but when I took things apart I looked inside from the grip end and there is a plate inside that just has a hole large enough for the wire itself to pass through. I don't see how I can get the collar part inside the handlebar with all the wiring inside. I don't have any documentation that shows the correct installation of the cable or where that darn collar goes. Maybe they are aftermarket bars or a different year. Maybe I just shove the sleeve in until it stops then pass the wire through the hole to the grip. It seems like something should hold the sleeve stationary up towards the grip area on the other side of that plate. Anyone come across this dilema before?

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: handlebar advance cable

Post by FlatHeadSix » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:51 am

Wild1
There should be a set screw under you horn button which holds the collar (and the coil its threaded onto) in place. It's a headless screw and will be flush with the bars when threaded all the way in to the collar.

mike

62wild1

Re: handlebar advance cable

Post by 62wild1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:16 am

Alrighty then. After a few beers and a good look at it with a nasty flashlight in my mouth I was able to tap the existing piec e foreword so I figured it must come back so I jammed a piece of heavy wire in the headlight switch hole and was able to push it out the end of the handlebar. It was some kind of cheesy brass thing with a sleeve that was supposed to be crimped onto the cable housing but was just stuck in there. I didn't have the extra hole under my switch housing but noticed a longer screw on on of the switches closet to the grip so I fed her in and lined it up with the hole for the switch and put in the longer screw. Seems to hold well until I can drill and tap the new spot for the grub screw but as long as it works that project will be on hold. It's been one of those days when all is FU'd so glad I got this fixed. Now to figure out the clutch install while I wait for my new coil and battery. Thanks Flatheadsix!

Stay tuned for more confusion.............................

Return to “Handlebars & Cables”