Ebay '61 "original paint"

DuoGlide62
Bikes: 1962 FL

Ebay '61 "original paint"

Post by DuoGlide62 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:37 am

Guys, is there any way this ad is legit ? Feel free to pick this one apart. '66 shifter ? Aftermarket primary cover. '63 & up rear chainguard. '59-'60 gas tanks ?
Speedo ? Dudley Perkins delivered this bike THIS way ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/61-Harle ... 414ca460ad

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Ebay '61 "original paint"

Post by Bosheff » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:53 am

Got the wrong footboards, too. What's that funky piece a sheet metal hangin down on top of the VIN on the left case half? Sumthin ain't kosher here. This add is a come on. For a person that seems to know what he's got (even though he's misrepresentin it), why doesn't he know what it's worth? Also, upon closer investigation, one notices a chrome top motor mount, what appears to be chrome 2 piece intake clamps, as well as the wrong nuts securing the top motor mount. At 27K miles, it may have needed a top end, but the tranny wasn't even broke in yet, but hey, he says it's been gone through. The tank badges are indeed 59-60, but I don't believe those are 59-60 tanks. And, they are obviously not pan tank shift tanks. The popsickle pedal wasn't available in 61, and the hubcaps, kicker spring cover and master cylinder cover ain't about shit. As for the speedo, I've never heard of one with "Magnified Glass". I've never encountered a 12 volt coil in which both the plug wires exited out the top like a 6 volt unit, but they may be available. In my opinion, what ya got here boys and girls, is an old whore in a new dress....bosheff

DuoGlide62

Post by DuoGlide62 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:25 am

When I pointed out that the shifter was '66 & up he sent me this reply

Dear ---------,

the shifter part number is 33675-37A for 41-65 Fl models page 41 in your parts book.Thanks, but harass somone else Bonehead.

- minutemen57

I can't decide if he's just ignorant or just a crook.

Bosheff

Post by Bosheff » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:16 am

The shifter set-up is obviously a -66 unit. Just reading the ad told me the seller is an arogant asshole. There is no one in the universe that appreciates an H-D for what is is, even an old rat bike has a place in my heart. What I don't appreciate is the know it all schmucks that think that they have 1 of only 378 produced. The amount of knowledge the seller possesses does not impress me one way or another. What impresses me is a seller that represents a piece as realistically as possible. I know this is not always possible, as a number of sellers have limited knowledge of what they possess, and are only passing on the B.S. the previous seller pumped on them. All H-D's have their highlights and weaknesses, but for the love of God, if yer sellin a unit represent it as it is, not how you want it to be just so you can unload it. These are the people that are responsible in part for the outrageously high prices for parts as well complete motorcycles. There is a 1969 Servi-Car on George's Site that is advertised as all original. The picture shows that it has obvioulsly been repainted. What don't people understand about the phrase "All Original"? As for this 61 pan on E-Bay, other than the fact it is being misrepresented as an original piece, there is something else going on with it. Even though it is not what the seller says it is, it is still worth considerably more than the asking price, which tells me this deal stinks for whatever reason....bosheff
Last edited by Bosheff on Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DuoGlide62

Post by DuoGlide62 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:38 am

It's an auction. There's six days left to bid. The 'price' isn't set.
I agree the guys an arrogant asshole. I too can appreciate a bike for what it is.
This bike just ain't what the seller wants a potential buyer to believe. Will he find a sucker ?
maybe

Bosheff

Post by Bosheff » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:47 am

Never bought anything off E-Bay. I guess I should of figured that out. I refuse to buy anything in can't persnally see and touch for the simple reason that things usually ain't what they seem. Yer probably right about a sucker comin long. There's an ass for ever seat....bosheff

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:49 am

DuoGlide62 wrote:It's an auction. There's six days left to bid. The 'price' isn't set.
I agree the guys an arrogant asshole. I too can appreciate a bike for what it is.
This bike just ain't what the seller wants a potential buyer to believe. Will he find a sucker ?
maybe
More than "maybe". I'd say "probably".

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:30 am

I would think the tank badges would be enough evidence for anyone. I know that the factory would allow a dealer to custom order a paint color from a previous year but is there any evidence that they would also install tank badges used in a previous production year. I doubt it.

I guess the original owner had Dudley install that chunk of flexpipe in the exhaust system when he put the square floorboards and the fishtail muffler on it. :?:

I may be wrong but I think I remember that the '59-'60 tanks had a recess or an indent in the tanks that the badge fit in. Its too cold to go out to the shop right now but I may have a '59 tank buried back on the shelf with an original badge on it, I'll dig it out tomorrow if it warms up.

mike

Bosheff

Post by Bosheff » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 am

Yer right about the fuel tanks, FlatHeadSix. I'm thinkin 57 was the last year for the finned toolbox cover, also....bosheff

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:07 pm

Ebay always depresses me.

Lookit the chromed cam cover below black cylinders. It's molested inside and out.
See the sharp bend to the tops of the repop pancovers.
Where the h*ll did the nipple rivet hole come from on the front head?

And that's a -64 neutral switch. Why?

Just another pile o' parts,
And a typical liar selling it.

....Cotten
By the way,
I'd like to see the 'fiberglass bags' (which didn't come out 'til '63) 'with chrome mounting hardware" (which should have been cad).

Bosheff

Post by Bosheff » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:22 pm

The D-rings , spokes and hubs been plated also....bosheff

DuoGlide62

Post by DuoGlide62 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:25 pm

Bike will be sold AS IS. For any questions Call (949)-874-8222 Bike is located in Southern CA and has been in CA for the past 50 years.

I'd say if you have ANY questions, call the guy.

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:39 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if ePay auction listings were like a Forum, you could post comments.

I'll bet you could get that listing pulled if you sent an intelligent message to the eBay folks to let them know that the description of the vehicle is totally inaccurate. They are usually pretty responsive to things like that.
Mr. arrogant asshole wouldn't talk so smart if they did that :P

mike

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:13 pm

In the early days of eBay I used to email bidders often to fill them in on what they were bidding on if it was grossly misrepresented like this bike. eBay has eliminated that kind of interaction and it is truly buyer beware. I don't know if it was seller complaints that killed it or the occasional buyer who "knew better" and told me to mind my own business. And only on rare occasions did someone say thanks. So now I just watch and laugh! :P
Robbie

ozwick86
Bikes: '59 Pan FLHF

Post by ozwick86 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:25 am

I bought my 59 FLH off Ebay, site unseen from a retired Air Force Captain / Doctor out of Rhode Island. He had 4 other bikes; 2 Indians, a Knucklehead and a 91 ?. The Pan was listed with his neighbor who had his own business selling cars and bikes. It didn't make reserve the 1st time and was re-listed with a lower reserve. The Ebay ad encouraged the potential buyers to call and discuss the history of the bike. I was the only person to call him. I made the deal on the phone and closed the auction with the minimum reserve met that we agreed on. After the deal closed, he had 7 people email him stating he couldn't end the auction all pissed off. I felt very comfortable with my purchase but lately seeing some of these listings it seems that there are a lot more crooks trying to scam someone. Funny thing, he bought a vintage Porsche out here in CA site unseen as well. He had also sent one of his Indian motors off to someone and spent what I thought he said was 25k to go through the entire motor. He said it ran for 30 minutes before it died.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”