Which Handlebars?

Moonlighter
Bikes: 1962 Panhead
2005 RK
2006 SB

Which Handlebars?

Post by Moonlighter » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:18 am

So, I dont really like buckhorns and was thinking about speedster style bars for my project bike? I am looking for input from you veteran guys. Does anyone have any suggestions, pictures? I have a 58 frame and was just wondering what type of setup. I was going to go with. I like the lower handlebar look don't want anything high ie: ape hangars etc... I guess there are several considerations. I will eventually be going to a S&S Super E carb, have auto advance ignition, plan to go to a 1 1/2, 11 mm belt drive and diaphram type clutch.

NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Re: Which Handlebars?

Post by NightShift » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Dear Moonlighter,
If your back can take it go for the low bars while you can. High bars let you take it longer. Shoulder high is where its at thats why they invented risers.

And windshields too,

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:31 pm

As opposed to what Shifty says, I have always preferred lower type bars. Speedster bars with solo seats were standard fitment for police bikes for many years. The traditional American "sit up and beg" riding position is actually quite destructive to the back as all the shock is transmitted directly through the spine, especially with forward controls. Most European and British bikes had a position where the upper body is slightly forward and the feet are positioned slightly back of center. this allows the knees and thighs to carry much of the load and saves the back. But I also don't buy into the 'Easy Boy" styling adopted by the American motorcycle industry. Try the speedsters, if you don't like them you can always go back. And they are probably too low for a thick buddy seat anyway.
Robbie

NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:00 pm

Dear Robbie,
Forward controls?
Dont that kinda toss the harley buckhorn versus harley speedster question out the door anyway? Traditional sit up and beg and digest and burp in comfort got to be traditional for good reasons!
Very important passengers always liked me to sit back too.

Weve all got our priorities,

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:30 pm

Moon, I've got some apes if you want 'em and an S&S E too! I went back to a stock set of speedsters and a CV carb on my pan. PM me if you go that way...Mike

Moonlighter
Bikes: 1962 Panhead
2005 RK
2006 SB

Post by Moonlighter » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:31 am

We are talking about riding motorcycles right? And 50 year old ones too? I can see that along with everything else there are varied opinions on this subject. I do like the lower bars and/or the sit up and beg position. However I also like to relax a bit too. In fact when riding my Roadking I often find myself riding with my feet on the highway pegs and streached out a bit especially when my lady is riding two up and I can lean back into her. But that is another topic I reckon. When finished I hope this will be a nice, reliable daily rider. Point is that I am about finished to the point of having a rolling frame and am trying to plan the next phase of my set-up.

Return to “Handlebars & Cables”