Seat post bushing

Panshovevo
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Seat post bushing

Post by Panshovevo » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:22 am

The seat post bushing in my pan is sloppy, and needs replaced. Buying a new one would be the easiest way to do it, but I like to make things when I can.
For example, when I decided to convert the pan back to hand shift, I looked at original parts, and realized that they wouldn't work with the ratchet top on my tranny, or the five gallon tanks installed on the bike.
Then, I considered the police style jockey shift that Taiwan Tedd sells. Too much money for something so simple, sez me to self.
Saturday rolled around, and I got to work. Monday I had a functional frame mounted shifter, and foot clutch, If anyone is interested, let me know, and I'll post a pic.

Anyway, I've been thinking about trying a Delrin bushing, instead of brass. I put a snug fitting o-ring around the seat post, under the cover I made for the oil tank/battery box area, to try to hold the grease below, but it doesn't seem to help much. Delrin would eliminate the need for grease, but I don't know how long it would last.
Has anyone tried it?

John

old1955
Bikes: 55FLE, 65FL

Re: Seat post bushing

Post by old1955 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:29 am

G'day Panshovevo,

That's not a bad idea, don't forget if its a Duo there is another one about and 1-1/4" (guess)
farther down the seat post tube. That one might be a challenge to install. You might have to
make a couple to work out the ID correctly, or it might squeeze up to much depending on the OD fit.

On a side note: A mate of mine puts a seal there,(top of the top bushing) that always ends up
at the top of the post of course but he puts it down when he washes his bike, he reckons it saves
water going down the seat post tube. He's probable right, and it can hold water down there
rusting your seat rod out.

Cheers
Pete

duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:40 am

It would have to be a pretty thin piece of plastic so I guess service life would be short. I replaced a bushing this weekend and there is not much difference between OD and ID of the metal bushing.
Doug

panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:12 am

Unless you got WAYY more time than money, I think you can get a set from colony for 20 bucks. There are two , at least on the duo glides. The lowest was just below the zerk in the frame tube. If you want to save money, find a good socket that just fits the inner dia. of the frame to drive your new bushings in , rather than for the 40$ tool that you'll use once.

duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:11 am

There is a grease zerk in the seat post tube? I had that bike totally dissassembled and never noticed a hole.
I'll have to look and see if I have a hole somewhere.
Doug

Panshovevo
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:47 pm

Panhead1Acopy.jpg
Steve, here is the pic I promised several days ago. Sorry it took so long. I usually use my own web site to host pics but my webmaster(wife) is so busy with our live-in granddaughter these days that when a problem arose with posting this one, it fell by the wayside.

The picture is somewhat distorted from over-processing, but hopefully you can see that I used an old aftermarket mousetrap for a shifter base, and pinned the old foot shifter to it's shaft to make a clutch pedal.
The shifter handle was formed from 1/2" round stock, with the help of an oxy/acetylene torch.
The shifter knob and clutch pedal are fired 50BMG cases.

(yes, I know the chain guard was improperly located when this pic was taken)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Panshovevo on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:40 pm

Cool stuff. I gotta try that some day.

Thanks for the pix.

steve

duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:55 pm

I found the hole for the grease zerk. I guess I'll have to find one of the HD zerks that have shallow threads. If I ever had one in there, I guess I must have forgotten to put it back in.
Doug

Return to “Seat”