Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

65 swingarm

Post Reply
65eglide
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:29 pm
Bikes: 65 fl
2000 ultra
98 sporty
98 heritage classic
Location: mass

65 swingarm

#1

Post by 65eglide » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:52 am

Anyone know if all the 65's had the 58A swing arm, or did some also have the 58.
Also should the casting number on be 58a or what that number stamped elsewhere?



RUBONE
Moderator
Posts: 4933
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:09 am
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 65 swingarm

#2

Post by RUBONE » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:40 am

I can't answer your specific question but I can tell you that the A (or B, or C) suffix does not necessarily appear on an upgraded part. If the casting is the same despite a change elsewhere in the assembly, the casting number will not change if the casting itself did not change. So do not get too wrapped up in the number but make sure the FEATURES that are correct for a particular part number are correct for your year.
Robbie

65eglide
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:29 pm
Bikes: 65 fl
2000 ultra
98 sporty
98 heritage classic
Location: mass

Re: 65 swingarm

#3

Post by 65eglide » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:33 pm

Well I know the swing arm changed in 65 to accept the larger rear brake, and the right side of the swingarm is different, little larger, so I would think this indeed would change the casting. I would think somewhere on that arm would indicate the "A" version over the previous "58" version, but mayber they relied more on visual if you put the two swingarms side-by-side you can see the difference. they show these two swingarms in one of the restoration books that I have.

indianut
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:26 pm
Bikes: American
Location: Florida

Re: 65 swingarm

#4

Post by indianut » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:27 pm

The "A" may be the grease fitting as my '61 does not have one and some do.

65eglide
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:29 pm
Bikes: 65 fl
2000 ultra
98 sporty
98 heritage classic
Location: mass

Re: 65 swingarm

#5

Post by 65eglide » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:49 pm

the swingarm changed from late 63-65, the front of the frame by the axle casting is bigger, supposed to be for the larger brake that came out then, never saw one with the "58A" on the casting, just wondering if anybody has seen this

Underdoggie
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:43 pm
Bikes: 1965 FL
1974 Honda XR75
1975 FXE
1975 Honda CB 750
1995 FXSTC
1999 FLHTUI

Re: 65 swingarm

#6

Post by Underdoggie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:16 pm

65eglide wrote:Well I know the swing arm changed in 65 to accept the larger rear brake, and the right side of the swingarm is different, little larger, so I would think this indeed would change the casting. I would think somewhere on that arm would indicate the "A" version over the previous "58" version, but mayber they relied more on visual if you put the two swingarms side-by-side you can see the difference. they show these two swingarms in one of the restoration books that I have.
Help me understand, My parts book is a 59-68 and shows a different frame for 65 but not a different swing arm. The part number for the swing arm in my book is 47500-58B for years 58 to 68. I understand the frame differences but was not aware of a different swing arm.
Underdoggie

RUBONE
Moderator
Posts: 4933
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:09 am
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 65 swingarm

#7

Post by RUBONE » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:41 pm

65eglide,
Well I know the swing arm changed in 65 to accept the larger rear brake, and the right side of the swingarm is different, little larger, so I would think this indeed would change the casting.
NO CHANGES occurred to the brakes in '65, the wider rear brake appeared in '63 and continued through '72 with just the hub and bearing changes in '67.
Robbie

panz4ever
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:45 pm

Re: 65 swingarm

#8

Post by panz4ever » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:00 pm

65eglide wrote:the swingarm changed from late 63-65, the front of the frame by the axle casting is bigger, supposed to be for the larger brake that came out then, never saw one with the "58A" on the casting, just wondering if anybody has seen this

Rear brake drums...58-62, 63-66, 67-

Rear fork has casting on lower portion of axle plate (right hand side) 47606-58. There is also another set of numbers on the bottom of the swing arm where the pivot bolt goes through (by zirc fitting). Hard to read due to accumulation of crud. Book lists the rear fork as #47500B (58 and later).

Oh this is on my 65 FLH. had it since 1970

Robert Luland
Posts: 893
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:56 pm
Bikes: 1922JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Contact:

Re: 65 swingarm

#9

Post by Robert Luland » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:13 am

Yes there are differences in the swing arms. I hope I don’t get kicked in the teeth for this. The front casting never changed (Where the bearings go). It’s the same casting number all the way up. 58-60, no grease fitting. 61and up grease fitting. They didn’t change the casting, just drilled and tapped a hole for a grease fitting. I can’t believe that these morons didn’t think a grease fitting would be necessary from the beggining. It is my thought that they though that the consumer would over grease it and blow out the seals. The next change as far as memory goes was 62 in up. The left side axle casting was change. It was much beefier. It should bear the casting number #H39. The right remained the same 58 up. The first picture is of one of the 62 and up type and the last one of my 60's. I hope you enjoy this! You wouldn't believe what I went though to dig this off the pallet shelving. Bob L
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

panz4ever
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:45 pm

Re: 65 swingarm

#10

Post by panz4ever » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:45 am

Robert Luland wrote:Yes there are differences in the swing arms. I hope I don’t get kicked in the teeth for this. The front casting never changed (Where the bearings go). It’s the same casting number all the way up. 58-60, no grease fitting. 61and up grease fitting. They didn’t change the casting, just drilled and tapped a hole for a grease fitting. I can’t believe that these morons didn’t think a grease fitting would be necessary from the beggining. It is my thought that they though that the consumer would over grease it and blow out the seals. The next change as far as memory goes was 62 in up. The left side axle casting was change. It was much beefier. It should bear the casting number #H39. The right remained the same 58 up. The first picture is of one of the 62 and up type and the last one of my 60's. I hope you enjoy this! You wouldn't believe what I went though to dig this off the pallet shelving. Bob L
Bob to coin a phrase...where's the beef? Looks like your early model one has more meat on it. Tomorrow I will check my 65 for the left casting number; too damn hot to be in the garage right now.

Appreciate the info...

RUBONE
Moderator
Posts: 4933
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:09 am
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 65 swingarm

#11

Post by RUBONE » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:38 am

Bob,
If you look at the bottom of that late swingarm in the bearing area it should also have a hole in it, a vent to release the pressure of greasing the bearings. The first ones with grease zerks did not have them, they were a change in about '63. Interestingly, the parts book supplement gives the part # as 47500-63. It later reverted to 47500-58B. When? I don't know, I don't have a couple of the supplements in '66, '67.
Robbie

Robert Luland
Posts: 893
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:56 pm
Bikes: 1922JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Contact:

Re: 65 swingarm

#12

Post by Robert Luland » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:29 am

panz4ever wrote:
Robert Luland wrote:Yes there are differences in the swing arms. I hope I don’t get kicked in the teeth for this. The front casting never changed (Where the bearings go). It’s the same casting number all the way up. 58-60, no grease fitting. 61and up grease fitting. They didn’t change the casting, just drilled and tapped a hole for a grease fitting. I can’t believe that these morons didn’t think a grease fitting would be necessary from the beggining. It is my thought that they though that the consumer would over grease it and blow out the seals. The next change as far as memory goes was 62 in up. The left side axle casting was change. It was much beefier. It should bear the casting number #H39. The right remained the same 58 up. The first picture is of one of the 62 and up type and the last one of my 60's. I hope you enjoy this! You wouldn't believe what I went though to dig this off the pallet shelving. Bob L
Bob to coin a phrase...where's the beef? Looks like your early model one has more meat on it. Tomorrow I will check my 65 for the left casting number; too damn hot to be in the garage right now.

Appreciate the info...
Just looks that way because it's painted gloss black. Notice the reinfocement rib on the later.

Robert Luland
Posts: 893
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:56 pm
Bikes: 1922JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Contact:

Re: 65 swingarm

#13

Post by Robert Luland » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:42 am

RUBONE wrote:Bob,
If you look at the bottom of that late swingarm in the bearing area it should also have a hole in it, a vent to release the pressure of greasing the bearings. The first ones with grease zerks did not have them, they were a change in about '63. Interestingly, the parts book supplement gives the part # as 47500-63. It later reverted to 47500-58B. When? I don't know, I don't have a couple of the supplements in '66, '67.
Robbie
Robbie, If you go back to my statement about the comsumer blowing out the seals thing, thus the reason for the vent hole but the casting number never changed. I wouldn’t be surpised that the vent hole was the same year they upgraded the left axel plate casting. Bob L

indianut
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:26 pm
Bikes: American
Location: Florida

Re: 65 swingarm

#14

Post by indianut » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:44 am

My '61 is pretty early (14**) with no grease fitting, so if it happened in '61 it was a Running Change.

Robert Luland
Posts: 893
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:56 pm
Bikes: 1922JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Contact:

Re: 65 swingarm

#15

Post by Robert Luland » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:26 pm

Good morning lads, Got into the shop this morning and was staring at Palmers book and decided to see if it had anything on swing arms. Yup, there a whole paragraph dedicated to them. I stand corrected. The grease fitting was introduced in 62. The relief hole as he calls it and the beefed up left axel plate came into play in 63. Bob L

Post Reply

Return to “Frame & Fittings”