Unusual speedo drive problem

Post Reply
Panshovevo
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:18 pm
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG
Location: SE Florida
Contact:

Unusual speedo drive problem

#1

Post by Panshovevo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:03 am

I can't keep a speedo drive in my 4 speed tranny. It strips the fiber gear within a tenth of a mile or so. I first drained the tranny, stuck a borescope down the drive hole, and counted the teeth on the drive gear. It has the proper number of teeth. When I pulled the tranny out recently, I first noticed that the upper left corner of the case had been broken and welded. When I pulled the top cover and inserted a new drive unit, it appeared to engage, but if you try to turn it backwards, it binds. It looks like the engagement is inadequate.
Any suggestions, other than another case?
Regards,
John



RUBONE
Moderator
Posts: 4801
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:09 am
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Unusual speedo drive problem

#2

Post by RUBONE » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:08 am

The spiral gear in the box is a press fit on the countershaft cluster. It is centered on the cluster boss when originally fitted. Is yours? Or has it been moved off center at some point. And are you sure on the tooth count? There are three different sets.
Robbie

Panshovevo
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:18 pm
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG
Location: SE Florida
Contact:

Re: Unusual speedo drive problem

#3

Post by Panshovevo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:42 am

RUBONE wrote:The spiral gear in the box is a press fit on the countershaft cluster. It is centered on the cluster boss when originally fitted. Is yours? Or has it been moved off center at some point. And are you sure on the tooth count? There are three different sets.
Robbie
Thanks for the response, Robbie.
I am certain of the tooth count, checked it around 10 times to be sure.
I'll look tomorrow, to see if I can tell if the drive gear is centered on the boss.
I forgot to mention that the countershaft has some excess end play, around .030" overall.

Bosheff
Posts: 1207
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:23 pm
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH
Location: Michigan

Re: Unusual speedo drive problem

#4

Post by Bosheff » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Is the .030" end play clerance above and beyond the service spec max?....bosheff

Panshovevo
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:18 pm
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG
Location: SE Florida
Contact:

Re: Unusual speedo drive problem

#5

Post by Panshovevo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:04 pm

Bosheff wrote:Is the .030" end play clerance above and beyond the service spec max?....bosheff
No, that is total end play. I think the spec is .012 max.

Bosheff
Posts: 1207
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:23 pm
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH
Location: Michigan

Re: Unusual speedo drive problem

#6

Post by Bosheff » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:24 am

If yer speedo drive gear is not centered properly on the countershaft, AND yer .018" or more past the service limit of the countershaft end play, I'd think that would be more than enough to cause the problem you are having....bosheff

Panshovevo
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:18 pm
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG
Location: SE Florida
Contact:

Re: Unusual speedo drive problem

#7

Post by Panshovevo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:20 pm

Bosheff wrote:If yer speedo drive gear is not centered properly on the countershaft, AND yer .018" or more past the service limit of the countershaft end play, I'd think that would be more than enough to cause the problem you are having....bosheff
Thanks Bosheff, I'll check that today. Was going to do it yesterday, and as so often happens, I walked into the shop with one thing on my mind, and got distracted by a dozen other things. At least I don't get bored...

Post Reply

Return to “Speedometer, Dashboard & Instruments”