Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

OEM springer riser mount

72hawg
Bikes: 72 Superglide

OEM springer riser mount

Post by 72hawg » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:06 am

I am looking for a set of oem riser mount that adapt glide risers to the springer top clamp with ears. If anyone can tell me what the part number is or has a set they want to sell let me know. I have included a picture of what I am looking for.
Thanks
Nick
!B5)Ye3gCGk~$(KGrHqF,!isEydO5w302BMu4tK7wog~~_12.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Wanted oem springer riser mount

Post by RUBONE » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:37 am

The rubber mount for springer set-up appeared in '49. There are two different top clamps, the one you picture is for an offset springer. There is one for inline as well. The mounts for the risers only fit the H-d top clamp and do not fit Flanders trees. The post is a different diameter. They show up on eBay from time to time and are very spendy! What type fork are you trying to find them for? I can give you the part numbers but not tonight. The wind is howling and it is 18 degrees out so I am not interested in the hike to my shop!
Robbie

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:42 am

You blow my mind, Robbie...! I don't know ANYONE who knows this stuff like you do...! When Robbie talks, people LISTEN..! I haven't said this in awhile, but thank-you for sharing your knowledge. I appreciate the Hell out of it, and I'm sure everyone else does too....

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:55 am

Bigincher,
I agree, and join you in thanking Robbie for all his contributions, he hasn't missed yet.

I'd just like to add that all of us are subject matter experts to some degree, the difference in knowledge and experience depends on how many of these things you've owned, and how much of the repair and maintenance you've done yourself (and how good your memory is). Nothing teaches like doing! The amazing thing is that you actually can do most of this stuff yourself if you have somebody that's done it already tell you what to do, and most importantly, what NOT to do. This site is great because of people like Robbie. Everyone can contribute, everyone can learn. What I'm saying is that nobody should be afraid to post something if they think it might help one of the members solve their problem.

And Robbie is correct about those OEM risers, those didn't come out until 1949 when they introduced the juice forks, the dog bones will only accept the OEM Hydra-Glide top pieces. The alternative is the Flanders set-up (period aftermarket), those risers had their own rubber handlebar mount built in to the dogbone. The key to installing a complete system is finding the right triple clamp for your forks (in-line or offset) and all the pieces for clamping the bars on (either all OEM stuff or all Flanders stuff). And, I think Robbie mentioned it in the other thread about this (Nick posted his request in the Panhead forum also), the top plate for the OEM risers is wider than a standard Hydra-glide plate, they are getting pricey and hard to find.

mike

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 am

FlatHeadSix wrote: I'd just like to add that all of us are subject matter experts to some degree, the difference in knowledge and experience depends on how many of these things you've owned, and how much of the repair and maintenance you've done yourself (and how good your memory is). Nothing teaches like doing! The amazing thing is that you actually can do most of this stuff yourself if you have somebody that's done it already tell you what to do, and most importantly, what NOT to do. This site is great because of people like Robbie. Everyone can contribute, everyone can learn. What I'm saying is that nobody should be afraid to post something if they think it might help one of the members solve their problem. mike
Well said, Mike!

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:12 pm

I've been watching top clamps and dog bones on E bay. I have an extended I beam VL springer. Is there a special top clamp for the VL springer or will all inline top clamps fit?

RUBONE

Post by RUBONE » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:54 pm

VL springers use a totally different type of top tree from later springers. On a VL the handlebars plug-in like a J model does. and the relief machined into the top of the legs does not work with a clamp made for a later front end. I'll truy to take a picture later of a set-up i have on one of my bikes. Have to run now!
Robbie

RUBONE

Post by RUBONE » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:05 am

Here are a couple pictures. You can see the difference in the top link. Also note on the H-D tree the ears are centered, on Flanders they are offset forward.
The plug in risers are a type i made to work on forks such as the B single front end on this WR. They would work on any JD, DL/RL, or VL fork as well. However they don't exist , you have to make them.
Robbie
DCP_2120.jpg
DCP_2121.jpg
DCP_2122.jpg
DCP_2123.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

72hawg
Bikes: 72 Superglide

Post by 72hawg » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:41 am

Thanks so much for all the info.
Nick

RUBONE

Post by RUBONE » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:31 pm

Bigincher, Flathead Six,
Thanks for your kind words, I am humbled. I try to help where I can. What is the point of learning all this foolishness if not to share it with others of like minds, or at least similarly addled minds! :mrgreen:
Robbie

PanPal
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Robbie, Thanks for the pictures. It seems I need to make one to get what I want. The pictures saved me from buying another item that wouldn't fit.

RUBONE

Post by RUBONE » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:05 pm

PanPal,
The standard VL top tree is a clean looking item in itself. Since the risers(as do the bars) would plug into the leg and be captive by compression any type you like could be made. I have seen a set-up where a 1" bar had two 7/8ths" legs welded to it so that it would plug in, and the bar became an attachment point for regular Flanders type risers. You could also clamp in a threaded sleeve and attach Hydra-Glide risers. The possibilities are endless!
Robbie

PanPal
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:37 pm

I am trying to replace the yellow home made block here with the dog bone set up you have in your very bottom set of bars pictured.
50 springer.jpg

ironhead7777
Bikes: ironhead
knuckle

Post by ironhead7777 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:10 pm

RUBONE wrote:The rubber mount for springer set-up appeared in '49. There are two different top clamps, the one you picture is for an offset springer. There is one for inline as well. The mounts for the risers only fit the H-d top clamp and do not fit Flanders trees. The post is a different diameter. They show up on eBay from time to time and are very spendy! What type fork are you trying to find them for? I can give you the part numbers but not tonight. The wind is howling and it is 18 degrees out so I am not interested in the hike to my shop!
Robbie
Hi Rubone
by the way, I just got an 1937 HD springer fork, I'd like to put it on my ironhead but dont know what way should i adapt it to put wide glide regular bars on it.I love to find something like the original springer 3 holes bars but dont have it or money to buy one, I have a nice 1992 roadking bars but don't know how can I adapt it to the 37 fork, any suggestions??
thanxs!

Humble Pie
Bikes: Many

Post by Humble Pie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:54 am

So glad to find this post, been trying to ID this one, I'm guessing it is for the inline springer ?

Return to “Frame & Fittings”