Enamel paint for badges

50Hydra
Bikes: 1950 FL Hydra Glide
1992 Sportster Deluxe

Enamel paint for badges

Post by 50Hydra » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:25 am

Hi everybody, this is my first post on the site so hopefully I'm in the right area...

I'm about to restore my 1950 Hydra Glide. My question is does anybody know the actual colour name and/or brand of the red enamel used on the 47-50 badges? I know it's probably a long shot but worth a try?

My grandmother actually used to do enamel work on badges back in the 50's and 60's by hand, so I can get the technique side of it from her, I just want to use the correct colour.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Jayson

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Enamel paint for badges

Post by FlatHeadSix » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Jayson,
The only paint you want to use for that job is called 1-Shot, good stuff. Here's a link to a thread we had a while ago which talked about painting the lettering on those badges, it has links to the 1-Shot paint company site and to the Eastwood company that sells it. Good luck with your project!

If you learn any secret tricks about painting those please share them with us, and POST PICTURES!

mike
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6668&start=0&hilit=FoxCo

Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:36 pm

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bboard ... blem-paint" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maybe this will help ya out a bit. Mike heres your ansewer. Bob L

50Hydra
1992 Sportster Deluxe

Post by 50Hydra » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:02 am

Great thanks a lot for the link guys!

for anybody who is interested, the advice from my grandmother on doing this was to use a large gauge syringe rather than a brush or spray to apply the enamel. Apparent;y that's how it was done back in the day. I'll try that method and post some pics once I organise the right paint.

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:40 am

Bob,
I'm going to try the "spray on - lacquer thinner wipe" method on a set of repops and see if you can paint over the incorrect black paint they put in the letters. Do you remember what brand/color paint you used?

When I did my original '47 badges I used a very fine brush and the 1-Shot. The trick is to make sure the badges are ABSOLUTLEY clean; no oil, no grease, no wax, no dirt, etc., before you start. I cleaned mine thoroughly with lacquer thinner before I started, and dried them completely. The 1-Shot paint is magic!, it flows out beautifully and dries with no brush marks. And, best thing, it sticks. It doesn't bead up or fish eye either.

But I think your spray technique will work just as well, or better, on some of the trickier badges like the late fifties and early sixties stuff.

mike

Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:10 am

Mike, paint is paint. If you lay it on right. The system works. I've seen a lot of origanal 48-51 bikes and I wouldn't call that fire engine red, much duller. Bob L

50Hydra
1992 Sportster Deluxe

Post by 50Hydra » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:23 am

Ok so I decided to try the syringe technique out this morning on a set of reproduction badges before playing with the real thing. Used a 20 gauge syringe needle with the 1 shot #104-L Bright Red lettering enamel (straight from the tin - thinning wasn't necessary). Unfortunately over here in Australia the smallest can they sell is 473ml (1 US PINT) and for the whole job I probably used 3ml, but anyway...

I found that using the syringe to apply the paint into the stamped letters was a little difficult - the paint wanted to keep flowing from the needle even after I stopped pushing the plunger. So I used the syringe to put a few drops of paint on a piece of card, dip the needle in it, then apply it that way. This worked a lot better. The 1 shot paint flowed very nicely and I was able to push it around the letters fairly easily using the tip of the syringe. Unfortunately as these were reproduction badges, I had to contend with the black enamel already in the letters and try to cover that as well as possible which meant putting a lot more paint in each letter than I probably would have had they just been chrome. It is a quite tedious process and I was over it by the second badge, however I was very happy with the result. The colour of the letters is a perfect match for the factory red. Once they cure, I will get a scalpel and carefully clean up a few rough edges, then give them a polish as i got finger prints everywhere, but judging by how they look so far I would have no hesitation using these badges on my bike. Here's some action shots...
badges6.jpg
badges6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”