Speedometer drive (11 tooth)

Post Reply
1950Panhead
Posts: 1574
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:28 am
Bikes: 1950Panhead
Location: USA

Speedometer drive (11 tooth)

#1

Post by 1950Panhead » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:28 pm

Is there a source for a metal 11 tooth speedometer drive?
I tried a fiber one and it lasted about 100 miles with a well lubed speedo cable.
Jerry



StueyC
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:48 am
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)
Location: Australia

Re: Speedometer drive (11 tooth)

#2

Post by StueyC » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:25 am

Vtwin

StueyC

2Hacks
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:14 pm
Bikes: '08 Ultra w/Sidecar
Location: Virginia

Re: Speedometer drive (11 tooth)

#3

Post by 2Hacks » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:35 pm

StueyC wrote:Vtwin

StueyC
Do you have a stock number? I got one from V-Twin and it was fiber.

UPSROD
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:18 pm
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI
Location: PACIFIC NORTHWEST

Re: Speedometer drive (11 tooth)

#4

Post by UPSROD » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:41 am

/ 150538769408?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230ccf5400 I'm new at the link thing, this is supposed to be what you are looking for on eBay.....Rod

Ohio-Rider
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:04 pm
Location: North-East Ohio

Re: Speedometer drive (11 tooth)

#5

Post by Ohio-Rider » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:14 pm

I wonder why the nylon one you have only lasted 100 miles? I have one with well over 6k miles on it with out a problem.

UPSROD
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:18 pm
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI
Location: PACIFIC NORTHWEST

Re: Speedometer drive (11 tooth)

#6

Post by UPSROD » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:11 pm

I will try this again! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-K ... 3cb37dcf6f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bigincher
Posts: 2830
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:10 pm
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Speedometer drive (11 tooth)

#7

Post by Bigincher » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:54 pm

UPSROD wrote:I will try this again! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-K ... 3cb37dcf6f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seller is Tom Faber, totally trustworthy and accurate-- he knows his stuff!

2Hacks
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:14 pm
Bikes: '08 Ultra w/Sidecar
Location: Virginia

Re: Speedometer drive (11 tooth)

#8

Post by 2Hacks » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:37 pm

:?: Does that shaft just slide into the removable mount that is on the tranny?

Panshovevo
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:18 pm
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG
Location: SE Florida
Contact:

Re: Speedometer drive (11 tooth)

#9

Post by Panshovevo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:50 am

As far as I know, fiber (not nylon) is the only option on the 11 tooth gear. The gears pictured on Ebay appear to be fiber as well.
The gear is held into the drive unit by a pressed on collar visible from the top. To remove it, support the housing and press on the top of the shaft.
When installing the new gear, support it only on the metal end below the gear, preferably with a pointed object that will fit into the center of the expanded end of the shaft, while pressing the new collar onto the top of the shaft. If not very careful about this, you will damage the gear. Don't ask how I know this...

You may have an alignment problem between the drive unit and the transmission drive gear, or you could have a damaged tranny drive gear.

2Hacks
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:14 pm
Bikes: '08 Ultra w/Sidecar
Location: Virginia

Re: Speedometer drive (11 tooth)

#10

Post by 2Hacks » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:18 pm

Panshovevo wrote:As far as I know, fiber (not nylon) is the only option on the 11 tooth gear. The gears pictured on Ebay appear to be fiber as well.
The gear is held into the drive unit by a pressed on collar visible from the top. To remove it, support the housing and press on the top of the shaft.
When installing the new gear, support it only on the metal end below the gear, preferably with a pointed object that will fit into the center of the expanded end of the shaft, while pressing the new collar onto the top of the shaft. If not very careful about this, you will damage the gear. Don't ask how I know this...

You may have an alignment problem between the drive unit and the transmission drive gear, or you could have a damaged tranny drive gear.
Thanks for the answer. I just pulled mine and the gears are good (steel gears), but when I disconnected the cable it looks like the end of it is bad (corners rounded off). So I'll just try a new cable.

Panshovevo
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:18 pm
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG
Location: SE Florida
Contact:

Re: Speedometer drive (11 tooth)

#11

Post by Panshovevo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:56 pm

2hacks, you have a steel gear on the drive unit, the removable piece that the cable attaches to? If so, do you know what year your tranny is, and how many teeth are on the gear?

Has anyone else seen a steel gear for the 11 tooth drive ?
Last edited by Panshovevo on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1950Panhead
Posts: 1574
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:28 am
Bikes: 1950Panhead
Location: USA

Re: Speedometer drive (11 tooth)

#12

Post by 1950Panhead » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:29 pm

If there is no source for 11 tooth speedo drive gears (67130-36 & 35635-36) would the 13 tooth gear set (67130-61 & 35635-62) have the same ratio?
Vtwin has the 13 tooth gears in metal.
Jerry

2Hacks
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:14 pm
Bikes: '08 Ultra w/Sidecar
Location: Virginia

Re: Speedometer drive (11 tooth)

#13

Post by 2Hacks » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:21 pm

Panshovevo wrote:2hacks, you have a steel gear on the drive unit, the removable piece that the cable attaches to? If so, do you know what year your tranny is, and how many teeth are on the gear?

Has anyone else seen a steel gear for the 11 tooth drive ?
Yes, the gear on the drive unit is steel and has 11 teeth. The tranny is a '52 hand shift. I don't know how many teeth are in the ring gear inside the tranny. 3 of the steel gear drives just recently sold on eBay.

Panshovevo
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:18 pm
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG
Location: SE Florida
Contact:

Re: Speedometer drive (11 tooth)

#14

Post by Panshovevo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:19 pm

I looked closely at the above-linked Ebay sale, and am certain that the gears are fiber. The shafts and collars are steel, but the gears are fiber.

2Hacks
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:14 pm
Bikes: '08 Ultra w/Sidecar
Location: Virginia

Re: Speedometer drive (11 tooth)

#15

Post by 2Hacks » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:28 pm

Panshovevo wrote:I looked closely at the above-linked Ebay sale, and am certain that the gears are fiber. The shafts and collars are steel, but the gears are fiber.
You're right... When I glanced at them earlier, I thought they were steel, but after a close look, I think they are fiber.

Post Reply

Return to “Speedometer, Dashboard & Instruments”