Seat post rod removal

Chassis, frame, instruments, fenders etc.
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
craig60pan
Bikes: 1960 FL
1951 FL

Seat post rod removal

Post by craig60pan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:20 pm

Decided to take the seat post apart before I put it back in the FL and, as expected, found it was missing a few parts.
Got to the point of removing the seat rod from the plunger tube and it is tight as .......
Anyone have a creative solution/tool to remove it without damage to it or the plunger?
Thought about hammer and punch but was hoping for a better option
Thanks
CJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cotten

Re: Seat post rod removal

Post by Cotten » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:27 pm

CJ!

I hold the spannernut in my lathe chuck, and then twist off the tube using a wrench upon the toggle, and judicious heat of course!

Good Luck,

...Cotten

craig60pan
1951 FL

Post by craig60pan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:44 pm

Ahhh to have a lathe.....
But I can improvise based on your suggestion
Thanks
Cotten
CJ

Schwee
Bikes: 57 Pan, 42 WLA

Post by Schwee » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:13 pm

I hung my frame by the seat post, unscrewed the nut, ahd wacked the frame with a BFH.
(I had set a few blankets and stuff on the floor to catch the frame.)

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:58 pm

CJ,
Cotten's advice is solid even if you don't have a lathe, you can get the same results with a good set of pipe clamps in a good vice that is properly mounted to something that won't move. Just "chuck" the plunger lock nut in the pipe clamps and turn the plunger by any means which will not damage it. Use care if you are trying to turn it by applying force only to the toggle itself. Gripping the tube by hand with nothing more than a pair of gloves may be all that's neccessary.

Sometimes its just too late for the old pogo stick, then any means that you have, even extreme, should be applied; dynamite, a BFH, etc., etc., until you get all the pieces out of the frame tube and the plunger disassembled. Here's the one that came out of my '31 VL

good luck!

mike

craig60pan
1951 FL

Post by craig60pan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:13 am

Mike
the rest of the seat post is in really good shape so I'm hoping
that it will spin off once I get the setup right
won't have time to fool with it until tomorrow
stay tuned
CJ

craig60pan
1951 FL

Post by craig60pan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Success
mounted the plunger in a vice by grabbing the toggle. Had my doubts about doing that but figured if it took too much force I would stop.
Then found this tool in my tool chest, it is a spanner to take the top fork cap off a Storz fork tube
A little Kroil and a piece of pipe for leverage and it spun off without too much trouble
CJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:37 pm

FlatHeadSix wrote:CJ,
Cotten's advice is solid even if you don't have a lathe, you can get the same results with a good set of pipe clamps in a good vice that is properly mounted to something that won't move. Just "chuck" the plunger lock nut in the pipe clamps and turn the plunger by any means which will not damage it. Use care if you are trying to turn it by applying force only to the toggle itself. Gripping the tube by hand with nothing more than a pair of gloves may be all that's neccessary.

Sometimes its just too late for the old pogo stick, then any means that you have, even extreme, should be applied; dynamite, a BFH, etc., etc., until you get all the pieces out of the frame tube and the plunger disassembled. Here's the one that came out of my '31 VL

good luck!

mike
So Mike, were you able to put the 31 seat post back in service? :mrgreen:

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:25 am

CJ,
we all love a success story, glad it worked for you. A set of spanners is handy to have, even though not many assemblies use them, when you need it you got it. The Harley Lightweights have a recessed retainer in the wheel hubs that hold the bearings in (most of them have already been destroyed by a hammer and punch), the only tool that will get them in and out is a spanner with the proper size pins.

And Mike, I did put that entire seat post back in service, I poured the entire pile of scrap metal into a box and now use it as a door stop :lol:

mike

Return to “Chassis, Frame & Instruments”