V-Twin Rigid Frames

55FL

V-Twin Rigid Frames

Post by 55FL » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:15 am

God help me, here we go... any experience with the V-Twin repo rigid frames? Motor/trans alignment issues? Going down the road in a straight line etc?
Poor workmanship/welds etc?
I traded my old straight leg frame to my son for his step down frame and I hate it. It just does not feel "right".
I will not butcher an original stepdown frame but want to return to rigid.

John

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: V-Twin Rigid Frames

Post by Bosheff » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:22 am

Life is to short to have to deal V-Twin/Ted. Explore other options....bosheff

Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:30 am

Steve Little at http://www.raceframe.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dommi7

Post by dommi7 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:38 am

I've ridden one on a friend's bike. Goes down the road straight, no issues. But its the 2nd VT frame that my friend bought. The first one wasn't straight and got sent back.
If you buy one, check it over ASAP and send it back if it isn't right.

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:56 am

If I was ever to buy a 'replica' frame, I would go straight to Steve Little at Raceframe Engineering, as Bob has so subltly suggested. :D

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III

Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.

58 FL, engine, frame swingarm, gas tanks.
Location: Markt Einersheim, Bavaria. and soon to be back in the US, Portland Oregon

Post by George Greer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:26 am

55FL wrote:God help me, here we go... any experience with the V-Twin repo rigid frames? Motor/trans alignment issues? Going down the road in a straight line etc?
Poor workmanship/welds etc?
I traded my old straight leg frame to my son for his step down frame and I hate it. It just does not feel "right".
I will not butcher an original stepdown frame but want to return to rigid.

John

You've got a PM from me.

Gerge

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:14 pm

If I was ever to buy a 'replica' frame, I would go straight to Steve Little at Raceframe Engineering, as Bob has so subltly suggested. :D
Regretfully, as per conversations with Steve, he is not producing frames at this time due to health issues. He has been helping set up a US builder to use his castings and techniques as well as his jigs but so far no frames!
Robbie

55FL

Post by 55FL » Fri May 06, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks for the input.
Here are my choices I guess,
1) Try to locate one of the Raceframe frames. Any leads?

2) Modify the frame I have from a recently aquired '79 Shovel project. I've been communicating with the folks at Hardtail choppers, up in the Pacific Northwest and have a ballpark idea re what's possible and cost etc.

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Sat May 07, 2011 12:55 am

If you hate the step-down frame (drop frame) that bad, you can weld on a rigid conversion. You end up with a decent looking straight-leg rigid frame. But you also destroy an original frame in the process. I know several people who have done the conversion with good results--- just don't go getting all sentimental if you go that route....
A better choice might be to go with the V-Turd "replica" frame, but my advice would be to have good frame man "make it right" before you do anything else with it. The VT offering isn't all that bad, but they ALL need some tweaking to be made correct enough to be able to bolt parts on reasonably well, and to go down the road right. Depends on which way you're headed with this project... for a full-blown restoration, the VT frame is a poor choice. For a decent rider you can get by, provided the above....
Even with the VT frame, done right, you're looking at the initial cost (are they still around $1800...?) and then the cost of a frame professional doing the corrections (what... $600-700..? Just a WAG...) and then shipping both ways to the frame guy (I can reccommend someone who's "tweaked" VT frames into acceptance...)
So what's the bottom line on this scenario? My math comes up with nearly 3 grand. For that money, I'm thinking you can find something to suit your needs at a swap meet or Craigslist or eBay....
I don't think you'll find a RaceFrame frame anywhere.... but I do know there's a deal cooking for a guy in the US to start making them for Steve Little. That's a complicated story that probably won't play out anytime soon....

55FL

Post by 55FL » Mon May 09, 2011 6:58 am

Well, I'm not going to cut up the step down frame, but the '79 frame is a possibility. the folks that I've been in communication with have indicated an ability to "create"(my quotes) a clone of my old staight leg given the parts now available. Just got to get the frame up to them. My only debate is seperating the motor and frame for titling purposes here in Ca. I'll end up with two Special construction bikes if I go ahead but I'm leaning that way

Return to “Frame & Fittings”