1950 panhead spark control

Parker

1950 panhead spark control

Post by Parker » Mon May 16, 2011 8:29 pm

My spark control pulls and pushes the cable wire in and out (in for advance when hand grip turned counter clockwise and out for retard - clockwise) when not hooked up to the circuit control but when hooked up it will pull the wire in for advance but will not push it out to retard. Took the wire out of the cable cover and it moves fine. in and out freely. Have all the correct mounting brackets but no go. I took the grip off the throttle side and put on the spark side of the handle bar just to see if it worked and it made no difference. Any thoughts as to what to check. I have run out of ideas. Just seems that when under "load" it will not push the wire out!

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 1950 panhead spark control

Post by RUBONE » Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 pm

If the outer cable is not connected to the spool within the handlebar you can have those symptoms. When pulling in the cable will butt against the spool, but when pushing out it will move with the inner cable within the bar.
Also, is your circuit breaker base greased?
Robbie

51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog » Mon May 16, 2011 11:59 pm

my cable was doing exactly the same thing. My timer was tight. The outer cable housing was stretching inside the handlebar because the plastic coating on the outside of the cable had deteriorated. Was acting like a spring. I replaced the whole cable and all was well.

katto
Bikes: 1948 panhead

Post by katto » Tue May 17, 2011 3:56 am

I scored a set of old Flanders bars that were loaded with old cables and switches and stuff. They were stiff; I cleand them whith W-D40 and lubed the cables with oil. working as they should now! Went for a ride today too! :D

Return to “Handlebars & Cables”