oil tanks ---50 fl

tschukojr
Bikes: 07-road glide ---50 fl

oil tanks ---50 fl

Post by tschukojr » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:37 pm

i;am still chugging along with my pan-----i have a question,oil tank, its crappy lots of rust inside,( i been working with it ) --and leaks a little on some seems, ( i belive)--the bracket for the chain gaurd is ripped up--so, i'am considering a new one, gonna have a new motor, why use that thing--rust and all------now its a 50 fL, it has battery ears, my part book dosen't show batt. ears on the tank, they were in the way of the fender mounting clamps bolts & nuts-so this is'nt the original tank ?-----any suggestions on where to look, j & p only seems to have them in chrome with ears-------------one other question, my 56 FL i had years ago , the tank was different-----it had no ears ( if i rember correctly )-- but it had a wide opening, and a filter set up inside--i could never get the filter assembly together correctly-it was a semmingly stock horse shoe oil tank-------no ears but a filter-----------can i find one of these---any input would be welcome-----tony schuko

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: oil tanks ---50 fl

Post by RUBONE » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Tanks with ears are for swingarm frames. Most aftermarket suppliers will sell a tank that will work for you. Originals are on eBay all the time, too. And you can always get a repro tank with ears and cut them off! And H-D never made a horshoe tank with a filter in it, the filters were always external. If you had something with an internal filter it was homemade!
Robbie

1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:37 pm

Tony,
Here is an original battery tie down and filter.
Two original tanks on Ebay, search for "panhead oil tank".
Jerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tschukojr

Post by tschukojr » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:44 pm

well actually, they did have a tank with a filter in it, its in the manual-- tried to copy and sends but it was too big so i tried to resize , --- it say's it was used with an external oil tank and 51 amp battery-- but this is the exact filter i had in the 56-----must have been aafter market tank, but it was old in 1972---------- i had it re-chromed, too bad i can't get one now---------------tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RUBONE

Post by RUBONE » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:02 am

The only tank ever used on a panhead with the internal filter was the later style "Police" tank. It is not a horseshoe, it is roughly square and sits offset to the right side of the bike, the big battery taking up the left. It was for Radio models needing extra capacity (battery). And it did not exist in '56 or for many years after!
Robbie

socalrider

Post by socalrider » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:04 am

i got a 1965 panhead all original non police with a internal filter.
arnulfo

RUBONE

Post by RUBONE » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:25 am

You are correct Arnulfo. But be aware that the oil tank talked about in the thread is a Horseshoe type, not an Electra Glide type. But thanks for pointing out that at least one model of Panhead non-police had an internal filter. Even if it was a totally different design. So I will change my statement to read "No Panhead from 1948 through 1964 had an internal filter except some police types with side mount tanks".
Robbie

tschukojr

Post by tschukojr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:25 am

well anyway thanks rubone , iam sure you guys on here know this stuff---a friend of mine has an old external oil filter with the bracket , he's giving to me---------------i don't know why, but the diagram i posted is in my 48-57, panhead service manual, and it was in the manual i had years ago , as i mentioned in my op, i could never get it to fit together, when i re-assemled , with a new filter element from the dealer, maybe thats a indication that it was indeed a aftermarket setup--------------thanks everone---tony

cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:28 am

1950Panhead wrote:Tony,
Here is an original battery tie down and filter.
Two original tanks on Ebay, search for "panhead oil tank".
Jerry
Jerry...you should mention that there are two different battery tie down rods...rigid and swingarm. Since you can't see which one you have by that view in the photo I will explain. The rigid one has an elongated hole in it and the swingarm has a plain round hole in it on account of the elongated holes in the tab on the swingarm oil tank.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”