compression

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Tattoo
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:57 pm
Bikes: Yes
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: compression

#16

Post by Tattoo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:56 pm

58flh wrote:

Tatoo--Sounds like a stock fl cam.-As He said it kicks over easily enuff!--A FLH cam he would notice that he has to put some ass on the pedal to roll-her over./Could be a #1 or J cam to.There easily started by hand if you had to!---At any rate lets see what he says hes got.Because we can guess all day :lol: !-----Respectfully---Richie
LOL Yep I had a bike many years ago I cranked it all the time with my arm...... I like a cam with a lot of duration. Not much compression when testing it but cranks easy and runs just fine.....



el rojo
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:54 pm
Bikes: 1962 Harley
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: compression

#17

Post by el rojo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:00 pm

Tattoo wrote:I guess I should ask... What kind of a cam do you have? Does it have a lot of duration?
I am not sure of the history of the engine so I am assuming that it is origional.
Rojo

el rojo
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:54 pm
Bikes: 1962 Harley
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: compression

#18

Post by el rojo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:16 pm

58flh wrote:
Tattoo wrote:I guess I should ask... What kind of a cam do you have? Does it have a lot of duration?
Tatoo--Sounds like a stock fl cam.-As He said it kicks over easily enuff!--A FLH cam he would notice that he has to put some ass on the pedal to roll-her over./Could be a #1 or J cam to.There easily started by hand if you had to!---At any rate lets see what he says hes got.Because we can guess all day :lol: !-----Respectfully---Richie
Hi guys,
It kicked over easy while doing the compression test of cours as I had the other plug out but when both plugs are in, she has the resistance to push trew as the other two pans I have had in the past but not sure what thier compression was either, just know that there is no way you would be able to start it pushing with your hand. I had both tanks painted while they were off due to discoloration from a leaking left gasket and tanks are gloss white so it really showed up.
I am usually pretty good about putting the nuts I take off back on the studs they came off of so that they won't get lost but didn't this time for the tanks. Come to find out, one tank has a 1/2" stud welded to it and the other one seems to be a 5/16" fine thread? but no sure so now I am going to lug the tank into my nearest fastener store and try and find the proper nut to fit it. Always some friggin thing!

Tattoo
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:57 pm
Bikes: Yes
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: compression

#19

Post by Tattoo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:59 pm

el rojo wrote: just know that there is no way you would be able to start it pushing with your hand.
I was a fairly big boy when I cranked my bike with my hand..... LOL

kitabel
Posts: 972
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:10 pm
Bikes: 2008 96" Fat Boy TC
Location: Lynbrook, New York
Been thanked: 115 times
Contact:

Re: compression

#20

Post by kitabel » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:48 pm

Overall cam duration, lift, and overlap have no effect.
With the same static CR, a mild cam such as FL will be harder to kick through than a warmer cam such as FLH. Each delay of the intake valve closing point (later ABDC) reduces cranking compression.

Tattoo
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:57 pm
Bikes: Yes
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: compression

#21

Post by Tattoo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:38 pm

kitabel wrote:Overall cam duration, lift, and overlap have no effect.
With the same static CR, a mild cam such as FL will be harder to kick through than a warmer cam such as FLH. Each delay of the intake valve closing point (later ABDC) reduces cranking compression.

LOL Say that again..... It has no effect but it does????

el rojo
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:54 pm
Bikes: 1962 Harley
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: compression

#22

Post by el rojo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:37 pm

I thought I had posted a response but don't see it so I'll try again. Still getting used to using the forum. I unfortunately don't have any data on the engine at all other than it came with a clear title. I hope to have her fully put back together today and see if I can lite her off.
I kept getting different compression readings every time I took one so I decided my gauge is crap so will have the local dealership do it once she is back on the road. I'll keep ya all posted and thanks to every one who has responded to my postings. Wish I knew about this place when I first bought the bike a couple of years ago!
Rojo

Tattoo
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:57 pm
Bikes: Yes
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: compression

#23

Post by Tattoo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:54 pm

el rojo wrote:I thought I had posted a response but don't see it so I'll try again. Still getting used to using the forum. I unfortunately don't have any data on the engine at all other than it came with a clear title. I hope to have her fully put back together today and see if I can lite her off.
I kept getting different compression readings every time I took one so I decided my gauge is crap so will have the local dealership do it once she is back on the road. I'll keep ya all posted and thanks to every one who has responded to my postings. Wish I knew about this place when I first bought the bike a couple of years ago!
Rojo

Man don't worry about the compression.... It will be just fine... I have a 53 pan that doesn't have a lot of compression when you check it because of the cam....It's much easier to start than one with a cam with a short ramp.... Or what ever you want to call it.... I like it that way and it's been running that way for years....

Yes there are MANY smart people here... Much smarter than I........ This is now one of the best internet sites for info there is....... Bar none....

Post Reply

Return to “Motor”