Panhead wet soot question

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
popspan

Panhead wet soot question

Post by popspan » Wed May 12, 2004 10:05 pm

I am getting a sort of wet soot out of my front exhaust. The motor only has about 170 miles on it . And as I set at a stop light I noticed is starting to smoke a bit. I fear the worst has happend. Does anyone have a clue?

popspan

Re: Panhead wet soot question

Post by popspan » Thu May 13, 2004 12:47 am

the rear plug is looking good but the front one looks a little wet. Just like the stuff coming out the pipes :-[

kell

Post by kell » Thu May 13, 2004 12:51 am

Maybe there's oil leaking out the pan cover, running down and getting sucked into the exhaust pipe where it's attached to the head.

Rainjester

Post by Rainjester » Thu May 13, 2004 1:08 am

I'd pop out the spark plugs and see if they are showing the same wet soot.

jester-

weezeo

Post by weezeo » Thu May 13, 2004 6:20 am

Does it look like oil or gas? It could be oil fouled and still not a major deal...........make sure your pushrods are adjusted correctly and the motor is tuned good. NO AIR LEAKS and then start worrying bout oil getting thru to the plug...good luck

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu May 13, 2004 11:13 am

IF it is truly oil on the plug (doesn't dry up to just "sooty", then there are two common causes for oil in the combustion chamber:

Worst scenario is if a bore in the head for a valveguide was scored when the old guide was removed without complete cleaning of the deposits around it. Although there is supposed to be a gasket under the guide to stop any leakage, many modern shops think they know better. Some Dealerships even ritually cram oversized guides in even when not needed, and crack the head.
Not so bad scenario is the common problem of the headgasket leaking inward at the drainhole for the heads. The head can be easily removed and dressed flat, a new gasket installed, and then a properly torqued re-assembly can cure it.
If the plug dries out, it's gas fouled. Anytime one cylinder carburetes different than the other, it's usually EML .

(Evil Manifold Leak)

popspan

Post by popspan » Thu May 13, 2004 11:24 am

thanks for all the help!! Anyway I do have some leaking on the tin right above the exhaust spigot. And another thing I noticed was an excessive amount of gas on my air filter. I plan on getting a new filter and manifold o-rings today. Another thing I may try is changing my coil. The one I have now is the beer can style, maybe their is a chance its just not giving good spark to the front cylinder. I'm running out of time, I am headed to Myrtle Beach tomorrow.

Return to “Motor”