Motor mount bolts, how its set up

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
fourthgear

Motor mount bolts, how its set up

Post by fourthgear » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:28 pm

Well , I picked up a chrome replica motor mount kit from JPs and am not sure about the right front mounting bolt . It has a long nut and some kind of keeper or tab that looks like it keeps it from turning . It fits over the the long nut and has flats to keeps it from turning, but see no way to keep it there . The books I have show the nut and a keeper , but I am unsure how its set up . Do I really need the nut stop or what ever it is? Thanks for any insight and help. I've not seen this set up ,but it must be stock.

rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Re: Motor mount bolts

Post by rigidpanman » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:28 pm

4gear,i think the idea behind that was to allow you to remove the bolt with the generator installed,i just put a bolt thru the hole from the top,thus requiring me to remove the generator first.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:11 am

"Chrome replica"???

Kinda like an 'all-natural synthetic', right?
I would be just as confused!

The Factory used a tall nut with a pressed-on tab that would prevent it from turning. This seated into a counterbore under the generator, and the bolt was inserted from beneath the skidplate.
I vaguely remember a thin washer that was used as a locktab by upsetting its edge upon the bolt hex.

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:19 am

Thanks for the replies , I really was just curious , the tab is loose and the parts book shows its one piece or so it seems . I like the way the long nut fits into the case , I think I will use it and just remove the Gen. if I have to get to it . Thanks again for the info. I've got the motor in the frame , but still long way to go .
Cotton , I know CHROME, I like the bling bling.

Return to “Motor”