Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

STD development engines

Post by panwars » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:56 pm

Hi, all.

My old pan (1961 in a 49 frame) is running strong, but I have a concern. I didn't build this engine, it came in the bike. I don't know who did, how well, or how long ago it was built. It has a couple of broken head fins, valve covers are leaking and the crank seal leaks. I installed a Custom Chrome 4 speed with close ratio Andrews gears and the bike is just a joy to ride. I run a Super E and it performs and sounds like it has an A grind cam or equivelant.
The problem is I am pushing it more and more, harder and harder, further and frther, and I fear I will scatter this valuable old engine if I keep this up. I am very interested in STD's replica Pan.
If I put mine on the shelf now,(next to my old trans) it only goes up in value, and my money goes into a new engine. If I run it til it breaks, my money goes into repairing an old engine or buying a new one and having no value in the old one( except parts).
The bike isn't a resto or all original, it is strickly a rider. So if there are any bad points about these engines or any warnings, I would love to hear them now, as opposed to after I buy one.

What do you think?

Scott

DuoDave

Re: STD development engines

Post by DuoDave » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:26 pm

Personally, I would buy a used Evo Sportster, or, if you really want to ride hard, a used Jap sports bike. it would not cost any more than a new STD engine and you could then thrash your new bike into the ground with a clear conscience. You would still have the pleasure of riding around on your original Panhead. The hard part would be restraining your right hand on the Pan, but it was built to run, so use it. A motor sitting on a shelf is no good to anybody. If you are worried about your investment potential, you would be better off sinking your money into HD shares.

Rammy

Post by Rammy » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:17 pm

Take your 61 pan and go through it , maybe STD heads if yours are messed up. Done rite you can make it run hard and last

Jack_Hester

Post by Jack_Hester » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:18 pm

Panwars -

Rammy is right. Build the original engine and ride it for the rest of your life. They are tough and if built right, will give you a minimal of trouble, and a maximum of good times. I'd build the old tranny, and sell the CC one. There's absolutely no reason to use anything else, if you have an original.

Jack

Return to “Motor”