Running hot

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
savatage

Running hot

Post by savatage » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:08 pm

The oil temp of my 65' gets up to 200 degrees after an hour of riding. i do have good oil flow returning to the bag.i did rering it about 300 miles ago. any suggestion what to look for or advice.

Cotten

Re: Running hot

Post by Cotten » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:54 pm

I've never run a temperature gauge on my '65s, so I really do not know if you have a problem, or should just pitch the gauge.
What do your sparkplugs look like?
Does your valvetrain get quieter when warm (assuming stock hydraulics) or knock horribly?
Is this a stroker, or pulling a hack with dual windshields?
Please tell us something to go on.

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:04 pm

Sounds like a pan to me. Were you in stop and go traffic for that hour or riding in an nice cool breeze? What weight oil are you running?

Jonderson

Post by Jonderson » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:09 pm

trev:

That does not sound like an excessive temp for a Pan. If you are concerned about it still, if it is causing other symptoms as mentioned by the guys above, then you might want to start checking things out.
Seems to me I read something from someone recently who rebuilt a carb and was having overheating probs. Check to see if you are running lean. That could also be caused by a leaking intake manifold, although I suspect that is why Cotten suggested checking the plugs.
Do not let the thing sit there and idle though. If it is running too hot you could easily put a nice hole in the piston that way.

panomania

Post by panomania » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:47 pm

Mine runs 175 to 200 with no problems. my last motor ran 200 all the time. i seem to remember a previous post where someone mentioned 200+ is where it should be..? if i lug mine when its completely warm it will slightly ping if i really roll into it. i think that is largely due to the combination im using.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:32 am

As I posted, I have never run a gauge. (I keep my eyes on the road instead...) but I have certainly noted subjective differences in the feel of the oiltank from bike to bike. My 61" knuck runs the coolest; my 88" pan ran the the hottest. Off-hand one would guess the obvious that displacement makes the difference. However, the Pan pump moves a larger volume of oil, thus transferring the heat to the reservoir faster as well.
So the tank temperature is not always a good indicator of motor temperature.
Another point to consider is that combustion makes water. If your oil does not reach a high enough temperature, the water will not vaporize out of it thoroughly. This can be a real problem in cool weather if the machine is only used for short jaunts.
I also make no distinction as to Pans running any hotter than other OHV head designs.

kell

Post by kell » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:06 am

Now I'm starting to think low oil flow may have contributed the overheating problem I had last summer (waiting to see if it happens again this season). The temp in the oil tank never got high... about 150, 180 max. Hot engine, cool oil in the tank. So maybe there wasn't enough oil flowing through the engine to do the heat transfer.
I have not touched the oil pump yet but I guess I will now. Clymer is a little thin on the subject. Any tips, or suggestions on what book I should get? 52 pan...

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:54 am

Combustion is the major source of heat in a motor, with friction becoming critical only when lubrication fails.
If you are certain that timing, carburetion (including a drum-tight manifold) and all other factors were secure, then the first place to look for a lube problem would be a loose clearance on the pinion bushing, allowing the crank's feed to be dumped into the gearcase instead of pushed through the pinion shaft.

savatage

Post by savatage » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:08 pm

Before I reringed it it ran 175 degrees all the time after it ran 200+ so that why I am concerned.I have good oil flow going to the top end and to the bag. But my oil pressure gauge drops to about 2 psi, when i first start I have about 80 psi. So I am assuming my pinion bushing is loose. when I had it apart I had side to side play on rods but no up and down which ive been told you can get away with this. If I continue to run it like this can I cause any damage. Its a 93" s&s oil pump that is new. my plugs look good and I run an o-ring and band on my intake so its double sealed.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:45 am

O-rings and bands is NO guarantee of a seal!
Only if it pressuretests airtight can you be certain.

panomania

Post by panomania » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:08 pm

hey savatage, my bottom is s&s and there torque settings between flywheels is about 400 pounds on the pinion side. i also have more rod side play than than the harley manual suggest but i think its largly due to not being able to come up with 400 pounds of torque. mine seems to run fine. start up oil pressure is 70 pounds and completely warm is 1 at idle and about 10 to 15 pounds going down the road. since my recent rebuild i have about 2500 miles on it with no problems. good luck, pano

panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

Post by panwars » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:47 pm

I think another factor affecting oil temp is oil tank capacity. Most stock tanks (I believe) were 4 qt. My after market that holds a larger 12 volt battery is good for 3 to 3.25qts tops. I would think more oil would run cooler. Adding a filter would help too, just cause it is more oil hanging out in the breeze, and adds capacity. I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

savatage

Post by savatage » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:47 am

One of the ways i check for air leaks is to put my hand tightly over air horn of carb and kick it and when your hand is covered in gas your usualy in pretty good shape

Billy

Post by Billy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:21 am

Adding an oil cooler up front w/thermostat will help & add a bit more oil capacity, & cooler oil. Oil filter is additionally a good idea, for 2 reasons, cleaner oil & more oil ... ;D
More oil does help to run cooler.
It can't do it all, but it helps...
my 4 cents........inflation

Fast Ed 53

Post by Fast Ed 53 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:04 pm

Still a bargain, Billy. My bike is about 60# on start up warms to about 175 after about 30 min. I just Installed a miniature cooler on her just for a little more oil capacity. now if I can make her quite slinging oil every where. I know she's supposed to mark her spot but not all of them!! My 2 cent's ( not as much experience), Ed

Return to “Motor”