64 pan old but new

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
64 pan
Bikes: 64 pan,78 shovel

64 pan old but new

Post by 64 pan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:18 pm

moter has not run in 5yrs low miles on comp rebuild compression 60 lbs both cylenders jumps to 130 with a squirt of oil starts but seems
to fire mostly rear cyl new 12 v coil pts bat cond

will this moter get better if run a while or do more damage

Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Re: 64 pan old but new

Post by Hauula Pan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:42 am

Sounds to me like your rings are stuck in the piston grooves and not expanding to seal the cylinders. That big of a jump in compression with squirting oil into the cylinder is a sign that the rings are either worn out or stuck. There is a chance that they'll free up and some top end oil additive may help, but I'd say you're looking at pulling the jugs and putting in some new rings. Running it should not do any real damage other than fouling the plugs and building up a lot of crud on the valves etc. All of which will be fixed if the rings loosen up and re-seat or you replace them. One thing to watch out for is damage to the coil. If you foul a plug and are running on only one cylinder you need to ground the plug wire on the dead one or you may damage your coil and other ignition parts.

64 pan
Bikes: 64 pan,78 shovel

Re: 64 pan old but new

Post by 64 pan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:58 am

wow thanks 4 all the help
got her fired up mon sounds pretty good no bad noises got her to idle for about 20 did comp test 100 rear 90 front not bad run a little more may get a little better
not charging tho do i need to polerize gen after sitting so long got low volts all terminals at gen and reg 3 to 4 volts new good bat read to ground field not sure how to do that

thanks again i love this fourm

Return to “Motor”