"Ticking" sound aferter motor shutdown

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
OckMock
Bikes: 1950 panhead chopper

"Ticking" sound aferter motor shutdown

Post by OckMock » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:40 pm

All:

I'm trying to source a "ticking" sound from my Pan motor. After a long or short ride, and when the motor is completely shutoff, Im hearing a metallic "ticking" sound that seems to be random at times, and regular at other times.

Using the long screwdriver to the ear trick, I cannot seem to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from.

The motor is relatively fresh...newly rebuilt and has about 800 miles on it. Its an STD case, S&S cylinders, and STD panheads (w/ the Shovel exh ports). Im running solids (so I believe I can rule out the ticking noise from hydraulic lifters).

I recently rebuilt the entire bike and just had some chroming and plating done to some parts. Additionally, I jet-hot coated the pipes and re-installed last week.

Is it possible that the jet-hot coating causes some weird expansion/contraction on the pipes? I did not hear this ticking until after I re-installed my freshly jet-hotted pipes.

To be clear, ticking does not happen when bike is warming up or when riding...ONLY WHEN COOLING DOWN

Any help on this one or things I should be weary of?

Thanks.

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: "Ticking" sound aferter motor shutdown

Post by Bigincher » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:48 pm

It's probably the exhaust pipes cooling off, you already nailed it.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:13 am

I know my late model bikes do that, I assumed it was from the heat sheilds which are held in place by hose clamps. Mike

stroker93
Bikes: 2003Santee down & dirty
1981 shovel rigid
1955frankenpan

Post by stroker93 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:19 am

It s all the iron ,steel and aluminum goin back to original size,,,you also said new build,, ,,motor is tight and gonna get hot ,,just break it in properly,,multiple oil changes..
Dave

StueyC
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Post by StueyC » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:43 am

I have a similar noise on my shovel that I would desribe as a clicking noise. I definetely don't think it's anything cooling down as those noises are distinctive. I spent months after the rebuild trying to work out what it was with no luck. It still does it to this day and will sometimes do it when the bike hasn't run for a day or more. I'm thinking along the lines of the clutch springs doing something like trying to slightly uncoil after being compessed many times during a ride and this seems to be the area the noise is coming from.

I've learned to live with it anyhow.

Stuey.

Return to “Motor”