Needing advice

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Honaw
Bikes: 1957 Panhead
2006 Honda VTX Trike

Needing advice

Post by Honaw » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:24 pm

1st i would like to introduce myself. I'm a old COBB and more r less gave up on two wheelers a yr or so ago and became a triker..BUT like all old harley riders i couldn't stay off of 2 for long...I have been reading alot of the post here and decided i would like to join in..I have never been much of a wrench, other than minor stuff....I just bought a 57 Panhead and have lots of questions...
The pan i bought was just rebuilt so i'm told 30miles ago..With new parts such as pistons-4 3/4 S&S stroker kit- valves-Valve guides-Andrews J Grind Cam-New gears-Delkron Cases-and new S&S super G Carb.....I've been told i was probaly running 65hp..Does this sound right?? I have a little smoke coming thur the pipes and have been told not to get to excited about it, that i need to give it a little time and let the rings seat, does this sound right???? I have oil coming out my vent hose, but it looks as if the oil tank was over filled...Other than that she starts usally on the 1st or second kick and runs great...Thanks for any advice or help on this.....Ride safe....Honaw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Re: Needing advice

Post by NightShift » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:19 pm

Dear Honaw,
Didnt you see smoke when you heard 65hp? Antique rings had to seat, modern are worn out if they do. Advice? Break her in gentle and dont get hurt my friend.

Really,

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:44 pm

Pretty nice but you REALLY need to do something about that oil line cluster f***! :shock: Just go at thinks slowly 'till you get up to speed on the old stuff.
Robbie

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:21 pm

Ya might wanna do somthin with yer rear brake torque arm mounting bracket at the frame. If my ol peepers ain't foolin me, it looks like ya got one of them 3 piece bolt together/bolt on on frame clamps trying to secure the torque arm to the frame. A better choice would be to weld a bracket to the frame. There is a place for bolt on stuff, but this ain't it....bosheff

steinauge
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:00 pm

Common causes of oil out the vent are 1-overfilled as you say 2-restricted fitting 3-aftermarket oil coolers\filters3-excessive breather gear endplay 4- restricted crankcase vent 5-oil pump damage\wear on scavenge side.I would start by removing the cooler and straightening out the oil lines. that would at least give you a point of departure.I am curious about the cam choice,the 43\4" stroke S&S setup uses the 2900 series piston that gives a CR around 9-1.In combination with the rather short duration\overlap on the J cam it should be a handfull(footfull?) to kick. As far as smoke oil only gets in the combustion chamber 2 ways,by the rings or by the guides.Like Shifty says,run it easy and be careful.Best of luck.

Honaw
Bikes: 1957 Panhead
2006 Honda VTX Trike

Post by Honaw » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:36 am

Thanks for the replys and advice...Smoke seems to letting up, so maybe its not in the valve guides

Return to “Motor”