A dilema-What to do?

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Eric S
Bikes: 59 FLH 50 EL

A dilema-What to do?

Post by Eric S » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:06 pm

I am nearly finished with a project bike that started out as strictly a rider with out a large investment. As the project progressed more and more original parts were aquired (Mint original late 51 or possible harley replacement? frame No code on Mt.but 52 features. Sheet metal.Speedo etc. My problem is that my engine is a V-Twin 74 with non timken STD cases. I just found a set of 50EL cases with good numbers and Paperwork. Upon inspection of these cases could the internals of the Vtwin engine be swapped into the original ELs so that I could obtain a title other that a custom build with liability insurance only. One of those things that should have been thought before the project was nearly done. Thanks Eric

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: A dilema-What to do?

Post by RUBONE » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:11 pm

Eric,
Assuming that your internals are truly taper shaft H-D parts or good equivalents it is entirely possible to trade them out. However it will be basically a lower end rebuild as everything will need to be fitted to the new cases. Case bushings honed and main bearings re-sized, crank end play set up, cam bushings and pinion bushing checked and re-fitted if necessary, etc.
Can you do it yourself, or have to farm it out?
You're right, it is a little late, but the end product would be much nicer long term. For a rider it may not be a big issue though.
Why not finish it, ride it, and slowly build up the other engine for a future transplant!
Robbie

Hog54
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:53 pm

I wish I had a new V-Twin motor in mine so I could ride the crap out of it and save the real motor for when I sell the bike. :D

NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:01 pm

Dear Eric,
You will regret it someday if you dont.
I think you know that down deep.

At least get the cases under your bench,

NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Dear Eric,
The Bossman just reminded me that if you title the bike as a custom then the Man is going to stamp the frame and then it will always be a custom no matter what motor you put in it someday.

Cottons such a downer,

Eric S
Bikes: 59 FLH 50 EL

Post by Eric S » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:57 pm

Thanks everybody. I have a valid registration for the cases-Its just the matter of the vin# for the inshowance man to verify....... Eric :?

Return to “Motor”