Stuck generator in gearcase

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Faustmill
Bikes: 65FLH 54FL

Stuck generator in gearcase

Post by Faustmill » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:46 am

I want to remove the generator from my 65 FLH. The nuts are off the two long bolts so the generator end cover, brush holder mounting plate, and frame that holds the field coils slid off fine. The problem is that the generator drive end plate (the part of the generator that mounts up to the gearcase) is stuck hard in the gearcase. The armature is still on the bike too, since the armature bearing is (I think) pressed into the end plate. I have already ruined the end plate with a hammer, cold chisels, and a crow bar trying to get it out but it does not budge. The armature rotates fine when I turn the engine over with the kick starter, so I guess the generator drive gear is not stuck in a gear in the gear case (but I am not sure) . What the hell is holding the end plate in the gear case? I had to walk away to keep myself from grabbing a bigger hammer and really screwing things up. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Post by drinner-okc » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:15 am

You didn't mention them, but you DO have the 2 screws/bolts that come
through the cam cover removed, don't you? Originally they had a 7/16"
hex head, popular aftermarket bolts are chrome acorns. If you do have them out & it wont budge, someone may have glued both sides of the gasket. Slide the field case and end plate back on, tighten the nuts, and
tap lightly on the brush end of the case. When it comes loose, it may have a washer on the shaft outside the gear you have to manipulate
around the idler gear to get the generator out. Good Luck!

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:17 am

Oh, THOSE two bolts??? #%$*!!!!! No, I had not removed them. I thought the generator mounted like the starter, so I just removed the nuts on the two long bolts that run through the generator case and expected the generator to come out. Once I removed the bolts that come through the gear case the rest of the generator came out easily. Now that I have exposed my ignorance to all readers of this forum, let me say that this screw-up is but a temporary set back and WILL NOT STOP ME from getting this bike right (which I have been able to do, for the most part). As some one else said, "I am just learning as I go". Thanks for helping me out.

VT

Post by VT » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:41 am

Thanks for coming back online and admitting your oversight. That takes pluck my friend. :wink: All kinds of future warning things are learned from just one mistake in the past. A Spare Parts Catalog helps visualize the assemblies and fasteners.

Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:14 pm

Don't beat yourself up over it Faustmil. There ain't a guy here who hasn't done something similair at one time or another. Here is a quick tip to keep in mind that an older wrench taught me.

Whenever your working on a HD and you reach for a hammer, stop and think about it cause your probbibly doing something wrong.

Faustmill
Bikes: 65FLH 54FL

Post by Faustmill » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:54 pm

Thanks for those words of support. Yes, I felt pretty stupid. For what it is worth, the Clymer manual (which I tried to follow) said to remove the "two mounting bolts" but the only diagram is an exploded view of the generator. I am going to get one of those Spare Parts catalogues because I am sure it would have saved me from making this mistake. I have worked on cars, bikes and machinery for a long time -- long enough to know that sooner or later I am going to screw up, but I love these machines and I like doing it. Thanks again.

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:00 pm

don't kick yourself too hard, i think we have all destroyed something in an attempt to learn how these machines are put together.

i do like the hammer comment however!

john

Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip » Tue May 01, 2007 8:53 pm

I am a firm believer that the best lessons learned are the ones learned when you have to pay to have them repaired.....had several this trip....I do know better now....Skip

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Wed May 02, 2007 2:53 am

Like on my first pan, When I ruined a S&S oil pump removing it incorrectly, The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know! Mike

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Fri May 04, 2007 1:04 pm

That be the truth , panacea

Return to “Electrical”