Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
RobG
Bikes: 1955 FL Hydra-glide

Ignition Switch for '54 FL.

Post by RobG » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:40 am

Description: WANTED FOR 1954 FL.
I need an Ignition Switch with B2, B3, or B4 numbers stamped on the lock around the key hole. Would obviously prefer it to have the original key, but not essential. Even just the lock and key would be welcome.

Please email me: robsharleyd@yahoo.com

Perry Ruiter

Re: Wanted: Ignition Switch for '54 FL.

Post by Perry Ruiter » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:35 am

1955FL wrote:Description: WANTED FOR 1954 FL.
I need an Ignition Switch with B2, B3, or B4 numbers stamped on the lock around the key hole. Would obviously prefer it to have the original key, but not essential. Even just the lock and key would be welcome.

Please email me: robsharleyd@yahoo.com
Correct switch for a 54 is not marked.

RobG

Post by RobG » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:03 pm

Well Perry, you should definitely know what you're talking about. Thanks for taking the time to inform me.
So in which years did the B numbers appear on the ignition switches around the key slot?
What should I be looking out for to ensure I have the correct switch / lock for my bike?
Anyone got one to sell or trade?
I assume a locksmith will be able to cut a working key from the lock?
Thanks again for all you help.
Rob.

Perry Ruiter

Post by Perry Ruiter » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:55 pm

1955FL wrote: What should I be looking out for to ensure I have the correct switch / lock for my bike?
The Bxxx marking is the key code. There are five wafers in the lock cylinder and subsequently five matching notches in the key. A locksmith, with the key code book, can look up the code and it will tell them the depth of the five notches and hence they can cut a matching key. The first photo shows a lock cylinder with the key out, you can see the five wafers sticking up. When a matching key is inserted the wafers are perfectly recessed into the cylinder allowing it to rotate (photo two). An incorrect key will leave one or more of the wafers standing proud and thus prevent the cylinder from rotating.

Now, when the neck lock was added in 48, the company wanted the same key to work on both the neck lock and the ignition switch without the hassle of making sure matching coded cylinders where in both the neck and the ignition switch. The solution was to leave the wafers out of the ignition switch cylinder. Since there were no wafers there was no need for a code and the cylinder was left unmarked (photo 3). Without any wafers, the neck lock's key would operate the ignition switch (as would any key or even a dime, pocket knife, screwdriver, finger nail, ...). Clearly it was expected the neck lock would be used to secure the bike.
1955FL wrote: So in which years did the B numbers appear on the ignition switches around the key slot?
Your question on years with B numbers was answered here. I'll add I have a buddy with an original paint 66 and it has a marked ignition switch. He also has a very original 69 also with a marked ignition switch. However, sometime in the 70s they went to unmarked cylinders that did contain wafers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RobG

Post by RobG » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:49 pm

A million thanks Perry. So good of you to take the time to explain everything and even include photos. I'm sure this info will be of interest to others as well as myself.
Rob.

Return to “Electrical”