Overcharging 32E generator

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
pan50head
Bikes: 1950 FL

Overcharging 32E generator

Post by pan50head » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:39 am

Description: my 6 volt 32E has been putting out 9 to 12 volts.

Had work done on the bike. Since then, my 6 volt 32E has been putting out 9 to 12 volts. Burned out the headlight. I rotated the third brush all of the way counterclockwise, I changed the cutout, I verified that the wiring is correct. I polarized the generator. No solution. Any ideas?

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Overcharging 32E generator

Post by Panacea » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:02 pm

What did you have done? It seems when things like this come up the solution is in what was just done. MW

pan50head

Post by pan50head » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:28 pm

I had total top and bottom end done. The engine runs like a watch and there are no oil leaks. I don't know what he could have done that caused the current problem, other than mix up some wires, but I checked all of that.

Pantony

Post by Pantony » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:18 am

pan50head; I had your problem, and you'd be pulling your hair out of your teeth to find it. You have a shorted cell in your battery, your generator is putting out all this current to a 4 volt battery (6 volts minus one cell=4volts) the over current is backing up through your ground and blowing out the weakest link YOUR HEADLIGHT FILLIMENT! I amost committed myself to an asylim cause I couldn't put my finger on this and even after years of being a fork lift battery road service man I though I'd seen it all. Thats your problem. Your repair guy didn't do anything it just picked this time to fail.

pan50head

Post by pan50head » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:28 am

pantony, thank you for the information. I have only half of my hair left. I installed a battery from another bike and same problem. Should I continue pulling my hair? I am about to take the generator out and take it to a rebuild facility to have it tested. I am just trying to determine if there could be a more simple solution.

panz4ever

Post by panz4ever » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:58 pm

Sounds like a generator problem. When was last time it was rebuilt? Maybe a grounded positive brush holder, field coil or third brush holder?

Pantony

Post by Pantony » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:13 pm

panzr4ever may have something on the brush holder, but you say you tried another battery from another bike, who says that ones good, I bet if you load test it and the old battery they would both be shorted, If the brush holders or feid coils were grounded I am not sure if the generator would have the capacity to have that much voltage output. Go and get a new battery and try it. I bet you it will go away. Oh and check all your connections and make sure they are all clean and tight.

Perry Ruiter

Post by Perry Ruiter » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:18 am

The battery is responsible for holding the voltage down. It could be a bad cell like pantony suggests but more likely you don't have a good ground between the generator and the battery. Run a jumper from battery negative to the generator housing. Is your voltage now under control? ... Perry

pan50head

Post by pan50head » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:36 pm

Thank you all for the advice. I have tried several batteries; all the same result with too many volts. I ran a ground wire from the generator housing to the negative battery terminal. Still too many volts. I will pull the generator and have it tested at a shop. I will post the result. Thanks again.

pan50head

Post by pan50head » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:57 pm

I pulled the generator and had it tested/repaired. The repairer told me that the armature had shorted causing the excess voltage.

pan50head

Post by pan50head » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:42 am

Have you ever felt like you sit on your brains? I installed the supposedly repaired generator in the bike. Same problem of too much voltage. I thought maybe I had a wiring problem so I disconnected every wire and ran jumper wires to the necessary places to allow the bike to run and charge. I learned this trick from a friend who fried his wiring at the top of Glacier National Park. Still too much voltage. Just for grins, I unhooked every wire from the generator and relay. Still too much voltage to the battery. Too weird.
I bought a new voltage meter. Anybody know a good lawyer because I am going to sue Radio Shack. The piece of junk Radio Shack meter I have been using gives high readings when the bike is running. Works fine on a 12 volt system but it can't read properly on a 6 volt system with the engine running. I had been convinced that the voltage was, in reality, too high because I burned out a headlight bulb. Apparently just coincidence. Isn't life with old bikes just wonderful? Live and learn.

Return to “Electrical”