Generator wire melted and shorted

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
55suicidepan

Generator wire melted and shorted

Post by 55suicidepan » Thu May 12, 2005 2:28 am

Well, I got a problem, that hopefully somebody can help me out with. I went for about a 100 mile ride on my pan, with no problems. About 2 days afterward i went to start my pan and it would not start. After doing some checking i found that my battery was dead. So i boosted the battery and it would start, then i started tracing my generator wire back , and i found that the wire was melted to the rear cylinder fin. So my question is what damage could have happened due to the shorted wire? Possibly killed my battery or generator?
My generator has only one wire coming off of it, But it has some kind of round electrical piece on the back of it, could that be the regulator? And could i have burnt it up? I need a way to check it out to see what is actually messed up, if any? thanks

mbskeam

Re: Generator wire shorted

Post by mbskeam » Thu May 12, 2005 4:17 am

hello,
Fix wire, route it so it will not get have any more melting issues. then put a FUSE on the batt (15amp) pos side.you need this.charge up batt. start bike and test charging system.
You may have gotten lucky on the regulator.
It sounds like a CE gen,reg set up.
mbskeam

bieb

Post by bieb » Thu May 12, 2005 4:25 pm

Yes, do install a fuse or circuit breaker it could save you alot of problems. After my purchase of a 61 pan that was sitting for a couple of years, I cleaned the carb,tanks, and such, got it running, turned it off at the switch and sparks flew out of the switch. Then wires started burning under the gas tanks! I quickley cut the batery wire with side cut pliers and blew out the flames........Protect your bike with a fuse.

Billy

Post by Billy » Fri May 13, 2005 5:12 am

Any decent auto-parts store has in-line fuse set-ups.
I like the dual-blade set-up like new auto's.
Cheap insurance against a wiring burn down..

My 2.1 cents

dj

Post by dj » Fri May 13, 2005 8:48 pm

May 12, 2005, 5:17am, Mbskeam wrote:
hello,
Fix wire, route it so it will not get have any more melting issues. then put a FUSE on the batt (15amp) pos side.you need this.charge up batt. start bike and test charging system.
You may have gotten lucky on the regulator.
It sounds like a CE gen,reg set up.
mbskeam
Is a 15amp fuse sufficient for the main fuse? In one of the online wiring diagrams a 30amp fuse is shown. Would it matter between the difference of 6v or 12v? This info would be helpful as I'm in the wiring stage of my project. And....if I were to inline fuse everything, like spotlights and blinker signals, what would the recommended amps be on these? Or is it neccessary to fuse everything independantly?

Red55FL
Bikes: 1955 FL on a 54 frame
2012 Heritage Softail Classic

Post by Red55FL » Sat May 14, 2005 1:40 am

If I understood all of the previous posts, the wire that grounded out was the one between the generator and the battery. A fuse in this wire should be just slightly larger than the maximum charge rate of the generator. If the generator is rated at 15 amps, install a 20 amp fuse, rated at 20 amp, use a 25 amp fuse., etc.
If you are going to install a fuse in the main power wire between the battery and the switch, it should be a fairly large fuse (or breaker), 30 amp is probably good.
If you want to protect each circuit separately, use a fuse that is just slightly larger than the amperage draw of that circuit. Head lights that draw 7 amps, use a 10 amp fuse. Tail tights that draw 5 amps, use a 7.5 amp fuse. Etc.
Don't use these amperages as what these items draw as I only used them as examples.
When I wire my pan I will use an amp-meter to check the actual draw on each circuit & install a fuse (or breaker) that is properly sized for that circuit.
In the wiring diagrams that I have seen for these old bikes, I have not seen fuses. Were there fuses on these bikes originally?

Red

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Sat May 14, 2005 2:02 am

hello,
I was told that the 65A 12volt gen only puts out about 9 or so amps.

and I did some math and got this:

20watts=1.6 amps

55watts=4.6 amps (LOW)

or

60watts=5.0 amps (HIGH)

that is how I came up with 15 amp fuze

but I also run LED tail lights in all they draw less than 1amp

mbskeam

Or kell.... might dive on in as he knows a hell of a lot more about electrics than me

Red55FL
Bikes: 1955 FL on a 54 frame
2012 Heritage Softail Classic

Post by Red55FL » Sat May 14, 2005 2:14 am

mbskeam
Those numbers make since to me & sound right. Been awhile since I did any serious wiring, can't remember what lights draw.
Do you know if there were fuses in the original wiring of panheads?

Red

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Sat May 14, 2005 3:45 am

hello,
I dont think so
I looked in my books and they did not show any.
You can also put a auto reset style on , on the 12v with the small batt it fits nicely under the batt hooked to the batt extender box. cant see it for that clean look.
mbskeam

Billy

Post by Billy » Sat May 14, 2005 4:04 am

I agree Kell is an electrical 'guru'
Hope he hops in here. ;)

But Nope, no fuses on early HD's
I have always added a 15amp off batt pos (kicker bike)
6 or 12 V.

& 30 amp on Elec. start (button bikes). 12v (of course)

But one could install more fuses/ breakers,
Just depends on which ya prefer.

my 1.432 centabos

dj

Post by dj » Sat May 14, 2005 5:55 am

15amp main fuse. Cool. Thanks. I hope the original poster finds this as helpful as I do..

Return to “Electrical”