Generator Strap Gone

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Ripley/Fla
Ex-member

Generator Strap Gone

Post by Ripley/Fla » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:14 am

During the rebuild of my 56, it was discovered that the idler gear 'boss' just before the generator was half gone. Not busted or cracked - gone. I had it repaired, now I am wondering about the generator strap. It is also gone. How necessary is this? Or will the two screws be enough if they are kept tight? Thanks for any input!

wantapanrealbad

Post by wantapanrealbad » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:26 am

Ripley,

I cannot comment on whether or not the generator can be adequately supported by two 1/4 bolts but as a last resort you could drill out for 5/16 bolts. Thats all that held the 58 and later generators in place.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:59 am

I had my generator cradle repaired when Headhog fixed my front motormounts,I asked Don about the strap, (had one on my 49) he said if you have the 5 1/16 bolts holding the generator on ,you don't need the strap. I think if you have it, use it. Mike

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:30 am

Ripley,
I've never had any problems with the strap on my stock '49 FL, but I've never changed anything on it either.

The flatheads are a different matter but I imagine the principle is the same, they all have the same 32E generator. Gear lash between the drive gear and the idler is determined by shim thickness between the cradle and the generator, if you don't have it set correctly they whine loud enough that its annoying. I also suspect that incorrect gear lash will shorten gear and bushing life as well.

If the generator can be held in position, with correct gear alignment, using only the 2 larger diameter bolts then I don't see a problem. The bigger bolts will require a late model generator and drilling the cam cover.

I agree with Panacea, if you still have the early generator and the cam cover holes have not been drilled oversize, you should find a strap and the proper shims to go under the genny.

mike

Return to “Electrical”