Thanks for post feature available again: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17581

Polarizing, can you go from the battery to the generator

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
wheels

Re: Polarizing

Post by wheels » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:35 am

installed new condensor, started right up. still see spark jumping for a few minutes. then stops. every time i put my battery charger on my battery is low. it charges right up then discharges. i'm gonna have the battery checked with aload tester first thing in the morning. i'm gettin so much confidence in my mechanical ability i'm gonna go and buy a volt meter. I'm bound and determined to figure this out , with everyone's help of course. i'm beginning to think my battery is shot. the generator light goes off after a few seconds. thanks to all for the help, again.

Billy

Post by Billy » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:57 am

Wheels-
Might just have a 'dead cell'.
The auto-parts have tiny battery hydrometers that are like the size of an eye dropper. This can be used to test each cell's charge, I added a short piece of vent hose to it, 1" & perfect for bike batteries. If all 4 out of 5 balls float= charged fine.
If they Don't float "BINGO" bout $2. bucks...

PS: You got to isolate the arching & correct that..

wheels

Post by wheels » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:29 pm

had the battery load tested and checked for dead cell, everything is alright as far as the battery is concerned. checked the charging with volt meter it is charging. the bike starts easy cold and the spark from the points jumps for a minute or two maybe one or two times per 15 seconds, then stops doing it. i let the bike warm up a little and take a ride. the first two or three miles it runs like crap, it pops and misses and spits back through the carb. if i get on it it will run better. when it gets good and warmed up it runs great although i only road about 20 miles yesterday. what gives. could the auto advance be stuck in the advance state? 70 degrees today gonna take a nice ride and see what happens. as always thanks every one for the help.

wheels

Post by wheels » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:47 am

rode about 80 miles. bike ran great. it started first kick every time. it didn't run like crap the first few miles today. it was quite a bit warmer than the last two times i took it out. although after the sun went down it cooled off pretty good. the last 20 miles i had the head light and spots on due to deer everywhere on the country roads. when i pulled her in the garage i checked the battery and it showed 12.65 volts.does this sound alright. i put the meter on it with it running and it would range from12.5 at idle to 13.5+ with the engine revved up. next step is to stop the arching off the points. could advanced timing cause this with the engine cold? i havn't taken the points off to check the insulator on the post but will do so . atleast i had a trouble free ride today. it was a beautiful thing. thanks to every one for the help and responses. it nice not to have to take it to the shop for every little thing. i'm really learning alot and am curious to hear the answer to my questions. thanks again.

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:48 am

Wheels-
Your advance weights won't make it arch spark. But I would take it apart & clean the advance weights & their pivot posts anyway. Lube lightly w/Hi-Temp grease & make sure the action is ok, on the advances.
Then under a "magnifying glass" check out your insulator block for hair-line cracks.
& wiring as well.
Find this 'gremlin' & you will be running right.

Return to “Electrical”