Electric Frank generator test procedure

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
kr8

Electric Frank generator test procedure

Post by kr8 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:33 pm

Hi,
Can any of you guys give me the proper procedure for testing two brush six volt generator output. It has an Electric frank regulator which seems to be over charging. I just wondered if there were any special tricks or precautions I should know about. I don't want to fry an original frank.

Thanks!

CknDnr
Bikes: 1959 Bastard FLH
1989 FLHTC

Re: Electric Frank generator test procedure

Post by CknDnr » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:41 am

I am not aware of any tricks or precaution's, but you are correct about not wanting to fry an original Franks. I was told by the shop where I bought mine that Frank had passed away and there will be no more of these made when stock runs out. The other versions just don't hold up like the original and IMHO a Franks solid state regulator is the only way to go.

Cotten

Re: Electric Frank generator test procedure

Post by Cotten » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:17 pm

A quick check would be to put a voltmeter across the battery terminals. It would show just under 6v (always start with a charged battery!), and just over 6v when the bike is started.

The usual indication of overcharging is the battery constantly needs water. High temperatures accellerate it dramatically.

Cycle Electric now makes endmount SS regulators. And available in "low voltage" for batteries in oiltanks. And just as ugly as Frank's, too.

Return to “Electrical”