Cycle Electric generator wiring confusion

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
PhilB

Cycle Electric generator wiring confusion

Post by PhilB » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:13 pm

This is a continuation of never ending generator confusion! My Cycle Electric generator with integral regulator has two posts on it. One is the hot lead to battery- The other has no wire connecting to it! Since I did not take it apart I do not know how the generator was connected before the wrench took it off. He says there was only one wire on it but since it doesn't seem to be charging???? Any idea how it needs to be or where I might find a wiring diagram to better understand it? There is no regulator on the bike so I am under the impression that the regulator is in the finned end cap on the generator?
Help! ???

Visitor

Re: Cycle Electric generator wiring confusion

Post by Visitor » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:11 pm

Try to contact Cycle Electric. Even if you have to do a Google search & see if they have a schematic of the wiring.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:58 pm

Thanks! My ace wrench has spent hours tracking them down and has seemingly gotten to the bottom of the issue. Looks like I am sending the gen back to Cycle Electric to be reconditioned. I am buying a new gen and keep the old one as a spare or an ebay part.

Visitor

Post by Visitor » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:40 pm

Why not get the "mini-alternator" only 3 lbs & half the size of a gen. & puts out plenty of charging power.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:42 pm

We have discussed this a bunch but I have spent a fortune to keep the bike as close to old school as I could and if the generator works, I'll keep it that way! It ran the bike before with a stock Harley tail light, headlight turnsignals, etc. There should be no reason it wouldn't run the bike now with good clean tight wiring and one headlight and two taillight/brake lights!

haggis

Post by haggis » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:56 pm

PhilB, If you have the end mounted reg, and have only two posts on the unit, the post nearest the motor goes to the battery and the other goes to the idiot light. Remember its switching a ground to turn the gen lamp on when charging. Haggis

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:11 pm

Thanks! I just took it apart and although there was nothing visually wrong with it, it smelt burnt and does not put out any juice. Cycle Electric is sending me a new one and I will send this one back to be reconditioned if possible. I don't know if I cooked this with the charger or it is a dead regulator, but it dont work!

Billy

Post by Billy » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:03 am

PhilB, a Battery Charger is a wonderful thing.
But a Battery tender is a safe way to charge, as you can't over-charge any battery, it goes into float mode
thus not burning out a batt. or more.
But you know that.. Just my 3 cents... ;)

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:57 am

Got it! Looks like the genny was cooked. We put in the new one and it works like a charm. With the Cycle Electric, the requlator is built in so swapping it out seems to have been the fix. I am sending the genny back to see if they can recondition it for me.

Good to be able to out run my extension cord, now!

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:57 am

PhilB, Glad you've got it charging properly again..
Did Red R. do the work for you ??
Billy

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:16 am

no, my buddy, "The Insultant" who built the bike for me figured it out and threw the new one in. It now runs, charges, starts and gets back all in the same day!

Billy

Post by Billy » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:52 am

PhilB, Happy days are here again, for U & Tai Pan ;)
Cool Man!!! Glad to hear it.

wrench

Post by wrench » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:44 am

After reading all the postings on "Hear we go again!" I realize that it's "Scary" how people pass judgment without knowing all the facts. This is a 1999, 90" S&S generator case pan (style) motor, it pumps 175 psi compression with a Unilite electronic ignition, it also has two 1157 tail lights and a 55/60 watt head light. I wasn't impressed with the voltage output so the first thing I did was call Cycle Electric. The DGV-5000 on this bike is a Low output generator, and since it has an oil tank style battery, a High output gen. was not an option. I FIGURED IT OUT before I ever delivered the bike. This bike has minimal wiring, to keep from adding a separate switch for the head light Hi Low, I wired the dash switch, first click low beam, second click Hi beam, but the switch will not allow the Low to cancel out. I told ---- that the second click is a back up, and ONLY if the low beam Burn's out or the bike will discharge. Well, as from all the postings you know what happened and it wasn't my battery charger that burnt the battery & gen. and for you bipolarized, in big print on the C E. instructions (NO FURTHER POLARIZATION SHOULD EVER BE REQUIRED.)

Wrench

Visitor

Post by Visitor » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:30 am

Aaaahhh! You would must be "the Insultant"
Bout time you fixed it already................ :(

haggis

Post by haggis » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:04 pm

Hi Wrench, Glad you got Philb's geny problem figured out and you are right about not having to polarize a geny with and end mount reg,,,,,unless the regulator has been physically/electrically separated from the Genys windings,Haggis

Return to “Electrical”