Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

Generator - regulator: what should I check

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Rainjester

Generator - regulator: what should I check

Post by Rainjester » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:39 am

I went to kick start my bike when I was at my pops-in-laws place yesterday and it wouldn't start. Come to find out, the new battery I put in two weeks ago didn't have much charge in it. I put it on a charger and trickle charged it for about 10 minutes, then kicked it over in the first try.
I disconnected positive on the battery while it was running and sure enough, the bike died as I suspected it might. I then fired it back up, had it running a little bit higher than idle, disconnected positive and it kept running until I let it go down to idle, it would shut down. Even when running just above idle, I could see from the tail light flickering that the generator wasn't staying steady.
With this in mind, if I'm riding slow, it's drawing juice off the battery until it dies, if I'm riding fast, it's charging but probably not consistently. I made it home about 5 miles away without trouble.
Any idea before I end up going down the wrong path with this symptom as to what I should check other than potential wire connection issues? Maybe Voltage regulator? Brush on generator?
It's 53' Pan with a 12 volt set up.

jester-

Billy

Re: Generator - regulator

Post by Billy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:52 am

I know you said it's charging at higher revs. But all this dis-connecting of wires.
I have 1 question ? Did you "polarize" the system.
After installing the New battery ? & after each time you unhook & reconnect the wire. ???
Not knowing what you have except a 53 w/12/gen.

Rainjester

Re: Generator - regulator

Post by Rainjester » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:57 am

I ended up swapping out the old Bosch voltage regulator for a new one on my bike to solve the "no charging at idle speed" problem. Looks like I have the 65' and newer style 12v generator on my bike. I do have a question about how to properly polarize. The books do say to do this every time you disconnect the battery.

I just get a wire, touch one end on the positive side on the voltage regulator and then touch the A connector on the generator. It sparks a couple of times and that's it. That's how I was told to polarize it. Does this make sense? The panhead books really didn't make too much sense to me.

jester-

Return to “Electrical”