Electrical problems, still

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
kell

Re: Electrical problems, still

Post by kell » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:41 pm

Shaker
Where did you put the meter leads. I couldn't understand your other post. Is the "bat neg wire" the wire that goes from the negative battery post to ground or is it something else? And is "the - bat post" the negative battery post?

shaker

Post by shaker » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:56 pm

ok, I'm back, the gen is marked hd 65-A 12-v L V , i have a cycle electric low voltage regulator on it ,also the meter leads where hooked like this i removed the ground wire from the battery and put the common ( black lead) on the ground wire and the red lead on the negative post of the battery, set the meter scale on 20 volts. with the key off the meter show's 3.84 volts. when i unhook the red battery wire from the generator the meter go's to 1.5 volts. I have changed regulator's and visualy checked the wires, charged the battery with a .5 volt battery tinder had gen checked buy to shops,still can't ride with lights on for more the 6 or 7 hour's and the battery is dead , i dont ride that much at night but i like to have the light on so i won't get run over buy the car's as often . thank's again for all reply's.

kell

Post by kell » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:02 pm

Shaker
Wondering about the diode in the voltage regulator. You have an electronic regulator, right? There's a diode in there that conducts the current from the armature to the battery. Because it's a diode it blocks current from flowing the other way. It prevents the battery from draining through the armature windings.
Assuming your bike's wired ok that's the only place you could have a drain with the key off.
Unhook the regulator wire from the A post on the generator. Then see if a small bulb lights when you connect it there. Or else you can use your amp tester. Don't forget that most meters have a different spot where you have to plug in the red lead for hi-amp testing.

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:48 pm

I had the contacts stick on my relay and the battery went dead while riding.
The problem started one night when I ran the headlights for a few hours. It ran the battery down while I was traveling down the highway. I stopped to take a squirt and realized that the genny light was on, but it was too late. I shut the ignition off and it was still draining power. I had to yank the main fuse to get the relay to stop draing power from the battery.
Maybe your [non-electronic] relay is sticking ???

shaker

Post by shaker » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:43 am

i have a solid state regulator on it now , i have the gen off going to check it out my self ,all the shops have done is run it and check if it is charging .going to clean the communator maybe cut mica , like it says it the manual clean everything check the wires , will post if it doe's any good.

Return to “Electrical”