Thanks for post feature available again: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17581

Conduit Routing of the "A" and "F" wires to the Generator ?

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
VT

Conduit Routing of the "A" and "F" wires to the Generator ?

Post by VT » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:46 pm

Does anyone have a pic of the wiring path of the A and F wires to the Generator for a '58-64 Pan?
I have the Palmer book, but haven't found any clear examples. If you know where in that book there's a photo, what page number is it on, maybe I missed it. Thanks in advance of your research.
Last edited by VT on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

62hdpan

Re: Wire Routing of the "A" and "F" wires to the Generator?

Post by 62hdpan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:24 am

HD Electra Glide Service Manual 1959 to 1969 pg. 51-3.

Hope that helps!

VT

Post by VT » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:48 am

The Duo-Glide diagram. Thanks. I wasn't clear with my request. I'm hoping to get a photo of an OEM 1959 OHV . I'm going to temporarily wire mine up, snap some pics and post-em and wait for comments, then move the wires around to their correct position's if I'm wrong. Wire clips positions would help too. I'm going to use twist ties to represent where the front right frame tube clip should go. I have a '55-57 V-Twin rigid frame Panhead, but I'm wiring it with a '59-64 harness.
We can put the finished pics into the "Knowledge Base" and all have access to material that even Harley-Davidson® doesn't have record of. You know......build our own history of items everyone needs to know about with these "builds".

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:30 am

kirk

it is pretty simple.

from the reg to genny run 2 wires one red one green. they go behind the pushrod tubes. red is armature green is field.

from the junction box behind the coil run one red wire to the batt terminal on the reg, there is a clip on the seat post that holds this wire in place. your oil pressure wire may be included with this under the clip. on non swingarm frames the stop lamp wires are included too.

from the dash run one wire down the left down tube with a clip or two to the A terminal on the genny. this one is for the idiot light. i cannot remember the color.

i just had a 63 in my shop for a tune up and a new regulator. dixie model, we will see how it holds up...

john

VT

Post by VT » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:26 am

from the dash run one wire down the left down tube with a clip or two to the A terminal on the genny. this one is for the idiot light. i cannot remember the color.

i just had a 63 in my shop for a tune up and a new regulator. dixie model, we will see how it holds up...

john
Thanks, I can only focus on the two or three wires to the generator. I'll come back for this info on the other runs. Mines mocked-up for a pic but the dinner bell rang. Some pics will be over on kit builds, but I'l post the Gen. wiring run here for discussion tomorrow morning.

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:57 am

It is amazing how there are no(or very few) photos showing so many things-the wiring clips being a big one, in my opinion.

VT

Post by VT » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:08 am

genwire001ke4.jpg
Here's the generator wire "C" conduit from the dash base.
There's a factory pic of a '56 "Police" FLE on page 610 in the Palmer book. This same conduit on the FLE hangs loose in front of the front header of a 1955 model a couple pages back, and then travels from the top of the frame, and over to the left down-tube. There's a clip on the left frame down-tube position about level with the exhaust header's hub where the blue tape is now. What is the clip number and what is it shaped like (a open clip with a wire hump at the back radius for a wire keeper?)
genwire002qn0.jpg
The gen. wire, the speedometer cable, the throttle cable and the (clamped) timer cable. Horn wires are labeled with blue tape to connect the horn under the left Hydra-Glide cover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Electrical”