Battery Tender Question

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
King

Battery Tender Question

Post by King » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:23 pm

Hi All

I have an 800 milliamp battery tender attached to my 12V 11 amp battery. As I’m on the road a lot it will be attached to the battery for weeks at a time. When I came back on Sat. I noticed the battery was warm to the touch, not hot, but detectibly warm. I checked the fluid levels and they were all full. I disconnected the tender and the battery cooled, hooked it up again and it became warm. The tender supposedly charges (yellow light lit) till it reaches ~12.3 v and then goes into a maintenance mode (green light lit). When I observed the warmth, the green light was on indicating it was in “maintenance mode”. Have any of you noticed the same situation and is it a problem?

King

steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: Battery Tender Question

Post by steve_wood » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:05 am

King:

How old is your battery? If you disconnect it from the tender, does it keep its charge? If you have a battery that isn't keeping a charge, then it will overheat when you charge it....

I have a couple of tenders, and i use them in the winter, but once the battery hits the "charged" level, i only use the tender for maybe a few days per month.

Return to “Electrical”