Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Bikes: 51 Panhead
77 FXE

Battery and regulator

Post by texasbobber » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:17 am

Author: texasbobber

Can a Cycle Electric DVG-5000L (low voltage regulator) work with a 7A battery? Wouldn't charge as fast as the DVG-5000 (w/higher voltage regulator), but it would it work okay?
Running a headlight with 70/55 H4 bulb, LED tail light, and coil to fire the Power Arc dual fire/single plug ignition.
When it comes to electrical stuff my eyes get crossed, but it seems like a 7A battery is better than a 5.5A battery.

Post by gearbox on Jul 7, 2006, 2:39pm

I would think you should be ok , you should still get a good charge with the reg. you have . You need to add up all your wattage use of what you are running and see if your batt. and charging system can cope with it and still keep a good charge on the batt. . I'm using a 10A AGM batt. ,CE Gen .& std charging CE reg. and I still use a battery tender just to keep the batt. to specs. system works real good.

Post by texasbobber on Jul 7, 2006, 6:35pm

good idea there on the battery tender. i'm gonna get one this afternoon.

Post by fragrep on Jul 21, 2006, 5:44am

I hope someone can help me. The battery died in my 1950 pan (converted to 12 volt). I replaced it with a 12 volt, 5.5 amp battery. Then I discovered that it was not charging so I replaced the generator and regulator (custom chrome). When I test the battery at 1500 rpm there is appx 15 volts. I rode the bike for appx 30 minutes and the lights drew all the power. I checked the regulator and discovered that the (hot) wire from the regulator to the ignition switch had disconnected from the regulator at the point of solder. I soldered it back then it happened again! (yes I can solder. I gave it a good tug test).
What is the deal? I'm going broke replacing stuff!
All help is greatly appreciated!!!

Post by mbskeam on Jul 21, 2006, 6:18am

15 V is a bit high, should be about 13.2- 13.7
I bet the reg is bad. the gen is most likely okay as it puts out 15V
with that much Voltage I bet the connection is getting real hot, leading to your solder joint to come undone.
a CE reg is about the best thing you can get, or a Franks reg if you can find one.
You WILL fry that tiny batt if you run it for long.

I also think the HOT lead goes back to the term. strip under the coil. then power branches off to the switch and various other places.
what gauge wire ? should be at least 12GA MIN

Post by panacea on Jul 21, 2006, 6:55pm

At that charging rate you may also boil the acid out of your battery...MW

Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Battery and regulator

Post by 58flh » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:44 am

The acid will def. boil out of the batt. with that small batt! use atleast a 10amp AGM & youll be good. 8)

Return to “Electrical”