Thanks for post feature available again: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17581

Hooking up an auxiliary battery

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
suicideshovel65

Hooking up an auxiliary battery

Post by suicideshovel65 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:06 am

Anyone know the best way to connect an auxiliary battery in hard saddle bags? Can/should the secondary battery also be hooked up to the generator, or should it be done in relay(?) with the original battery, or would it be better to just use and recharge after every ride?
Anyone find an auxiliary battery of use when running with spotlights or other powered accessories?

Cheers,

S.

dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Re: Hooking up an auxiliary battery

Post by dirtydistrict » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:09 pm

Hi Suicide, for info; if you link in serial two batteries you sum tension (V); if you link em in paralel you sum intensity (A). If you need extra accessories you need more amp and the charging system which goes with. Cheers

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:06 pm

More batteries is not a good solution. If you are drawing enough current to run down your main battery, you are going to shorten the life of your charging system. The charging system is not designed to run at full capacity continuously.
Before you put that second battery into your system, I would highly recommend getting a higher output genny.
If you do decide to install a second battery in parallel, use a battery isolator to keep from discharging the main battery.
I have been this route using multiple alternators in trucks to supply high current DC. Batteries are nothing unless the charging system can support them.

suicideshovel65

Post by suicideshovel65 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:24 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for your response - just really asking to learn rather than looking to attempt it myself.
FWIW I've already moved to the Cycle Electric generator with end cap regulator. I see what Cotten says about end cap ugliness (actually it doesn't look too out of place on my bike though ;-) )!
I've also moved to the larger Yuasa battery and the NGK plugs that were mentioned on the board. Next step is a top end overhaul, which should also go much smoother due to the help received from Panomania.
Had the nicest ride last weekend down to the coast - found I was grinning like an idiot the whole way!
I can't help feeling that the improving condition of my bike is due in large to the results of the advice and help received from this board.

Thanks all!

Return to “Electrical”