Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

It's alive, but the gen light will not go off

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
demoman

It's alive, but the gen light will not go off

Post by demoman » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:44 pm

Finally got my 64 FLH off the lift table and started today after going over everything except the internals of the engine and transmission. One problem that I think you guys can help me with.
The gen light will not go off. I have rewired the bike and put on a new regulator. The charging light did go off when I bought the bike and before I rewired it. It was not in the best of shape when I bought it, so I did not ride it, except into the trailer to bring it home. I checked the light to make sure it wasn't grounding, polarized the regulator before starting, I checked the voltage to the battery while the bike is running 6.12 to 6.14, headlight off. Not running the voltage is around 6.25 at the battery. Put the old regulator back on 6.17. Where should I start looking and what is the easiest way to test the regulator and the generator?
Is it normal for a pan to puke oil out the primary drain hole if it has been sitting a while? I have a big puddle under the bike since it has been started.

Thanks for the help again.

Steve

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Re: It's alive, but the gen light will not go off

Post by Jack_Hester » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:33 pm

Steve -

Flash the field. If you had the generator disconnected for a while, this is first thing that you have to do. Also, check your brushes. This topic was on another forum, and I explained that carbon attracts moisture, causing oxidation on the brush holders. They'll stick and either make poor or no contact with the commutator. Do all this before flashing the field.

Jack

Demoman
Bikes: 60 FL
64 FLH

Post by Demoman » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:22 pm

Jack, what do you mean by flash the field?

Steve

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Post by Jack_Hester » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:36 pm

Steve -

I'll quote from the manual for the 1964 year model FLH:
It is advisable to 'Flash' field coils whenever wires have been removed from generator or regulator; or after generator or battery has been removed and is reinstalled. This is done to make sure generator has correct polarity. If polarity of generator is reversed, relay points will vibrate and burn. 'FLash' field coils by momentarily touching a jumper wire between 'BAT' terminal and 'GEN' terminal on regulator, after all wires have been properly connected and before starting engine. The momentary surge of current from battery to generator will correctly polarize generator.
Let me know how it turns out.

Jack

DuoDave

Post by DuoDave » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:32 am

Your oil puddle is caused by oil draining from the oil tank into the crankcase. When you fire up, the oil is pumped through the breather into the primary chaincase then on to your garage floor. There is a check valve which is supposed to prevent this, but if it is worn or maybe sticking, you will encounter this problem. It should stop once the excess oil is pumped out of your crankcase.

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:11 am

This lets you know you got oil !!!
Seriously, "Sumping", can be fairly easily fixed......
You can re-dress the check-ball seats by Burnishing them. & works very well. Easy to make one..You would get a better idea by a picture. I'll try to shoot one & put it up. It has a check ball on the end & is tightened into the seat & reshapes it to a good seal. Beats the Hell out of "lapping the seat" & the mess associated with lapping compound & the clean-up of that.
As was the fix before..

Return to “Electrical”