LED madness

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
mbskeam

LED madness

Post by mbskeam » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:42 pm

hello I was wondering if any body has put LEDS on there bikes so as to be more visable to the very bad drivers out there. I think every bit helps, there even better at night
mbskeam

Billy

Re: LED madness

Post by Billy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:33 am

Mbskeam-
They look good under your seat!! ;D
Yeah I'm doing LED's too, you can even get them at the auto-parts store for 1156 & 1157 replacements. Put them right into the sockets.
But I am doing a seperate Led small strip above the licensce plate for Brake Lights only in addition to the regular replacements.
I agree with ya, every little bit helps..

dj

Post by dj » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:03 pm

Mbskeam...

Great idea under the seat! They're not even big enough to take away from the look.
I plan on using them---My scoot's getting close to back on the ground and running, and I have a dresser light bar bracket, but I need to buy 4 bullets and I'm wondering what size bulbs are commonly used in them? My guess is 1157 but I'm not sure.
I'm running a mag so it's going to be interesting to know if several LED's on the back will stay fully lit at a low idle. I'll bet they will. 8-)
Here's the tail light bulb I plan on getting before next season: It has 25 led's, six of which are white, and angled in a separate row at the bottom for license plate illumination. A little pricey but cheap insurance in my book.

CknDnr

Post by CknDnr » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:12 am

I put 2 bullet's on for running / brake lites. I like the vehicle behind me to see when I hit the brakes, and the LED's are bright enough to get their attention. I am running a 12v system with ss regulator and a sealed battery with no problems dimming at idle, even when I have the headlight and spot's on.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:52 pm

hello,
well when I made this set up nobody really had out the led 1157 style plug ins that are out now . so I went to radio shack and got some leds to play with. took a power supply and resistors, then set at the kitchen table and figure out the max brightness these thing would produce. buy changing the res. I found that they like 2.7 volts, as i put more volts to them they got dimmer and at about 5+ volts they seamed to go out ,and at full 12 volts ........... they burned up really nice.some times it nice to play around on the cold wet winter nights up here in the NW.the out side are running and the inside are brake lights that flash from the guts I took out of a Bell clip on led light, that runners or bike riders use.I looked at the web that DJ posted cool thy are bright , now that would be interesting , picture this .

COP: The reason I pulled you over is that your brake lights are too BRIGHT.

I'd love to see the look on the judges face when that happens and it comes to there court room, as
I'm sure that this will happen to somebody out there, hopefully not any of us
mbskeam

dj

Post by dj » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:11 pm

I'm beginning to notice LED tail lights on school buses, and they are REALLY bright! So I don't see why a cop would take exception to a single bright tail light on a bike. But.....we all know how that goes. Also I'm running a tombstone which is not DOT approved due to the surface area, but I feel the 25 LED monster would certainly help, especially the license plate illumination. I DO want to be seen! But the flashing, spiralling style lights are out of the question...aesthetically.

mbskeam.....

Was thinking that you could have used some spent 30-06 shells for the cases on your setup and had some "sho-nuff"....."bullets" :)

Dave

Billy

Post by Billy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:12 am

DJ-
Even our traffic lights have all been converted to LED's. Lots of new auto's are following this also, especially on their 3rd brake light in the middle.
They use much LESS electric too. As Mbskeam mentioned..
Excellent upgrade!!!

King

Post by King » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:01 pm

Since they take so low a voltage are there any made for 6V systems?
They sure do the trick. I followed a bike into work a while back which had two LED red bullets up about saddle height and LED turn signals. But what really caught the eye was the two blue LEDs he had in the licence plate bracket and on the sides by the bags. You could see those for at least a half mile. But I don't know how the cops would react to us using "their color".

King

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:56 pm

hello,
King, yes these leds will work on your six volt system. because I made them from raw parts.(radio shack) As I made a 5 volt power supply, But store bought leds are most likely resitored out for 12 volt systems. Kell I think could answer this. So if you put less volts they might not get as bright as they should.
mbskeam

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:35 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you have to use current limiting resistors on ALL leds.

kell

Post by kell » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:12 am

From what I understand about LED's, Sidecar is right. Unless you have a power supply that puts out VERY low voltage, you need a resistor.
LED's have a current rating. If you look at the diode ratings in Rat Schack's catalog, current is in the column titled "If", meaning forward current ("I" means current). It is listed in mA, or milliamps, which is a thousandth of an amp. So if you select a diode and it says 20 mA that means a current of .02 amps should run through it. Example: 13 volts with a 600 ohm resistor would give you 13 divided by 600 = .022 or 22 milliamps which is close enough.
In this example the resistor would be putting out a little more than one quarter watt as heat. The resistors that you buy in the assortment packs like RS sells are quarter watt resistors. You can't really run a component at its full rating like that and expect it to last. In our example, where a resistor would have to run at its full power rating, I would instead use two resistors of 1200 ohms each and put them in parallel (next to each other, not end to end), to get the 600 ohms.
To figure out the amount of power your resistor will have to handle, square the voltage and divide by resistance.
Actually I think our "twelve volt" systems can run up about 13 or 14 volts when the genny gets going. 14 squared is about 200, so divide 200 by the resistor value. You get an answer in watts. Compare that to the resistor power rating. The resistor has to be rated for more.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:18 pm

hello
when I first started to play with the leds. I took apart the cheap leds that the kids put on there cars, what I found was that all they had was a 220ohm resistor in line on the hot side(+). The reason I made a 5 V power supply was so I could get a constant voltage that I could work from for the bell electronic guts that I was using , It needs 3 V so I took a resistor that put it at 3V and put that in the moduale that I was building, then I put in a 47 ohm res. to get the voltage needed for the led side of things(2.7 V).
This I put on bike 2 years ago, the only problems that I have had are, one leg of the 5V power contoller broke due to vibration, fixed that and put epoxy to it . the second was that since I had already put in a led tail light it would bleed voltage thru to the brake side of the circuit and flash the lights. This took a while to find but a diode fixed this right up.
mbskeam
can you tell it was a longgggg wet winter here.

Return to “Electrical”