Boy did I get lucky. Generator.

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
lockdoc
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Boy did I get lucky. Generator.

Post by lockdoc » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:11 pm

The last thing to happen before I put the bike away last year was the generator quit. I have a big battery so I managed to drive a hundred or so miles this way. It had one of the cheap generators on it so I got another one to put on this year. Took the old one off today to find this!
brokegen001.jpg
brokegen002.jpg
brokegen003.jpg
The lucky part is that I can find no damage to anything. No chipped gears. No filings. Not even scratches on any gears. There is a little tiny scratch on the inside of the gear cover. Like I said, I drove the thing like this for awhile. This could have been BAD!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mbskeam

Re: Boy did I get lucky. Generator.

Post by mbskeam » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:19 pm

I bet when you pulled out the genny, ya thought....
what the FFFFF........

luuuccckkkyyy......LOL

partshunt
Panhead Register Member

Post by partshunt » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:55 am

Well, you were lucky there. Quite a lucky bit of damage. Looks like you or someone run with no backlash in the generator to idler gear. Probably even lesser back lash to create a preload condition on that shaft, enought to cause a flexing action to crack itt. If not, it may have been run that way by someone else and got chrystalized, unkown to you. These old generators dont work very hard like a hydraulic pump might. ....neat pic......joe

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:28 am

as we say at the power company "that's clean livin!" :shock:

dodged a bullet there for sure!
It had one of the cheap generators on it so I got another one to put on this year.
gonna reconsider the second one?

john

lockdoc
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Post by lockdoc » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:56 pm

Not like there is a lot of adjusting you can do for backlash. It never made any strange noise in that area. I did notice that it had the 14 tooth gear. I have a 13 for it now. I mentioned that it was the cheap generator as a warning to others. At $89 I thought I couldn't go wrong even if I had to replace it every year or two. This kind of damage never occured to me though.

oldbob
Bikes: 1948 UL

Post by oldbob » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:21 pm

I have to agree with Joe on this one. I tried one of the cheep import generators last year and found that the threaded mount holes in the generator where to far off that it would not bolt in. It had to tight of interference with the idler gear. I took the mount plate off of a old burnt out OEM generator and put it on the cheep import. It bolted in just fine but did not work all that well compared to a OEM generator. I had to have the RPM's up just to keep the lights burning. I ended up buying some new replacement parts and rebuilding an old OEM generator and found that it worked much better when the import.

If you plan to try another import. I would recommend lightly bolting it in place with the cam cover off so you can check the fit for any gear interference. Use some thick flat washers to protect the engine case.

Bob

Return to “Electrical”