12 Volt Generator Shaft Length

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Ripley/Fla
Ex-member

12 Volt Generator Shaft Length

Post by Ripley/Fla » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:26 am

Is there any difference between an XLCH or early shovel generator as to shaft length? Thanks for any advice!

Cotten

Re: 12 Volt Generator Shaft Length

Post by Cotten » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:21 pm

Ripley!

All Model 65A armatures should be the same.

Beware that Model 58 and 61 6v armatures are nearly identical.

.....Cotten

Ripley/Fla
Ex-member

Post by Ripley/Fla » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:47 pm

Thanks, my problem is the generator gear is only about 2/3 aligned with the idler gear. I discovered and have ordered the missing oilslinger that goes on the shaft first before the gear. It will have to be at least 1/8" thick to really line these up. I'll see!

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:01 pm

Beware that Model 58 and 61 6v armatures are nearly identical
What is the difference? On my 59, I have a style 61 generator. A few weeks ago my generator light would not go out. I took the generator off and apart and cut the mica between the segments. It would not motor, but I am told not all of them will even when they are working. The problem I noticed was the 61 has a roller bearing in the rear cap. Inside the roller, someone installed a bushing. The service manual does not show these generators disassembled, so I am guessing a repair was done years ago using a 58 model armature in a 61 case. As would be expected, the bushing does not spin in the rollers. Would a 61 armature have a larger diaameter shaft than a model 58?

It is back together the same way because the armature shaft still spins in the bushing. I did find the regulator points needed to be dressed. My generator light went out after the regulator was worked on, but I want to make the proper repairs to my generator.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:30 am

It's been too long to trust my memory, but I believe the Model 58 had a bushed endcap with a Gits Bros oiler cup.

....Cotten

Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Post by Eric » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:59 am

I am building a bike and went to put the generator on I had no oil slinger. The gear is held in place with a nut. There is about 3/16 gap to take up before the nut contacts the gear. It is a Cycle Electric 12V generator with the built in voltage regulator. does this sound similar to what you have.
Thanks
Eric

Perry Ruiter

Post by Perry Ruiter » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:11 am

Ripley/Fla wrote:Thanks, my problem is the generator gear is only about 2/3 aligned with the idler gear. I discovered and have ordered the missing oilslinger that goes on the shaft first before the gear. It will have to be at least 1/8" thick to really line these up. I'll see!
By slinger I assume you mean the 31035-58 oil deflector (see attached photo). Yes, this limits the distance the gear can go on the armature shaft. I'm sure adding that will move the gear out enough align with the idler gear.
PanPal wrote:
Cotten wrote:Beware that Model 58 and 61 6v armatures are nearly identical
What is the difference?
The model 61 and 65 and 65A (and probably 64 too) armatures are dimensionally the same, except that the model 61 is 6V and the others are 12V. The model 58 armature visually looks the same but the diameter of the shaft at the commutator end is different since the model 58 used a bushing whereas the others used a Torrington needle bearing ... Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ripley/Fla
Ex-member

Post by Ripley/Fla » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:14 am

The missing oil slinger (pictured) was the problem. Generator gear now overlaps on each side of the idler. Without the slinger the gear would move a tiny bit up and back even with the nut tight. Now it is tight. As for the generator strap, I kept messing with shims till I am able to have the strap tight - remove the the mounting bolts - and put them back in. Now they aren't super loose, but I'm sure the generator isn't hanging on the bolts. It always amazes me that returning to stock solves so many problems. Thanks for every ones input!!!!

Return to “Electrical”