Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
craig60pan
Bikes: 1960 FL
1951 FL

1951 pan wire routing

Post by craig60pan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:57 am

Took the tanks off the 51 pan and took a picture of the wire routing and clamps.
Ignore the "creative" way a previous owner stopped the rocker cover leaks.
Project for a future day.
If it looks right, great - others can use as an example, if wrong let me know how so.
The red wire on the steering neck is for an aftermarket horn that is now gone.
The black tape before and after the front seat mount is one questionable item
CJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: 1951 pan wire routing

Post by FlatHeadSix » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:05 am

CJ,
From what I can see it all looks like an unmolested factory arrangement. The black friction tape is also a factory "accessory", that's the way they anchored everything under the tanks, they all came that way from Milwaukee.

It would be interesting to know for sure when the factory quit using the friction tape, I'm not sure if it extended into the shovel era or not.

If you are planning on tearing all the wiring out to replace it I would take a bunch more pictures from all different angles, pay close attention to the way everything leaves the switch and goes through the dash base plate. The wiring on the rear switch terminals is a little tricky because of the tight turns all the wires have to make, if you don't get 'em just right everything will work fine until you put the dash cover on, that's when all the smoke that's been preloaded into the new wires comes out.

thanks for the pic!

mike

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:22 am

looks like an unmolested original.

the tape is stock, i have seen it on other original bikes. i found ace hardware still stocks friction tape, i used it to secure my replacement harness.

john

panz4ever

Post by panz4ever » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:33 am

Herz a question...the wire loom going from the switch to the terminal plate on the front of the bike appears to go vertically along the neck and then take a nasty turn under the lower neck race. Somehow i cant think this would be a good idea because it would eventually get jammed up. Or am I not seeing this correctly?

craig60pan
1951 FL

Post by craig60pan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:58 pm

Good info on the tape, I still have some friction tape laying around somewhere.
As to pictures, I am taking a ton as I disassemble. For the most part the bike is pretty stock and has been in storage for over 30 years.
Ideally I want to create a collection of photos that show how hidden things, like the wiring routing, was done.
As to the U bend, I am pretty sure that is how the factory did it, saw a post a while ago that referenced it.
Here is a better picture of that area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

panz4ever

Post by panz4ever » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:32 pm

Great close up shots. So now I am gonna bug you for more photos PLEASE. Putting a 49 EL back together, so if you get the opportunity to post more right and left side general and specific views it would really be helpful.

craig60pan
1951 FL

Post by craig60pan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:09 pm

Not sure what is the same or different between a 49 EL and a 51 FL or what on mine is wrong but.... that said here are a couple.
If there is something specific, let me know and I will see what I can do
Top is the dash panel wring - top view - speedo is wrong, from a 60's police bike if I'm not mistaken
Then the throttle cable
Next is left side
Bottom is a better picture of the neck
I plan to pull the front and back panels off of the glide later this week and can show some more
If anyone sees anything that is wrong..or right, any input would be appreciated

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:15 am

great shots craig, keep 'em coming, they'll end up in the knowledge base fer sure!

Panz: the '49 and the '51 are zactly the same. The only exceptions were the police units with a regulator instead of a relay and any accessory lighting that was added on.

John, we need to add this, or attach it, to the thread you started about the '47 knuck wiring. All those hardtail 2-light dashes were wired the same way, craig's photos are the best yet.

mike

craig60pan
1951 FL

Post by craig60pan » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:37 am

Not sure how you would do it on this site but having a photo archive either by year(s) or area probably has some value. Having someone to signoff on accuracy. I know there are times when I wish I could see a photo instead of read a description.

panz4ever

Post by panz4ever » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:52 am

Thanks for the info Mike. craig those are some great shots. I am waiting for mu bottom end to get assembled and decided to start on the wiring. Your timing for the posting of the pics is perfect. I have searched but could not find any info and PICS of wire OEM routing so yours is definitely worth the price of admission.

Can't thank you enough.

craig60pan
1951 FL

Post by craig60pan » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:13 pm

Panz,
I may be getting to the end of quality pictures
The front terminal board connection show both old and new but the wire routing looks right
Some wires dead end
The wiring to the battery box looks OK but questionable after that
When I get the exhaust off I can do the rear terminal board but that won't be for a while
When you get your wiring done, post some pictures
CJ

panz4ever

Post by panz4ever » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:37 am

Craig not wiring but along the same lines (sorta). Can you measure the lengths of your throttle cable housing and advance cable housing and then measure how much of the wire should protrude from the cable ends. I picked up some nos stuff that are full length and need to trim back the housing as well as the wire.

Thanks. Hey Admin any thoughts about adding this to the Knowledge Base. Not very often we get pics and details like Craig is providing.

craig60pan
1951 FL

Post by craig60pan » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:20 pm

Will try to measure this weekend, again what I have may or may not be right

panz4ever

Post by panz4ever » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Understand Craig. Thanks. Going out to the garage now to work on the front end wiring. Got it from Hummer Emporium. Looks like it is pretty decent and seems to follow the diagram in the parts manual. We shall see...

FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:07 am

Panz
The Hummer Emporium stuff is top notch, none better. The best thing about their products is that every wire has a tag on it to tell you what it is and where it goes, no "bird's nest", no guessing. You can't beat that in this day and age of re-pop junk, a true reproduction is priceless.

And, I have to say one more thing about Craig (Hummer Emporium Craig), he is an honest, stand-up guy that stands behind his products. If you have any problems with any of his stuff he'll make it right. This is not a paid testamonial, just something I've learned from years of doing business with him.

Here is one more trick for your new wires. The original cloth covered wires were lacquered to give them some extra protection. The reproduction cloth covering is as dry as toast and will quickly fade and deteriorate unless you treat them with something. Depending on the location of the exposed wires you can either spray them with clear lacquer or brush on something like clear finger-nail polish to keep them from absorbing water and/or fading quickly from exposure to sunlight, etc. Giving the new cloth covering a coat of lacquer will keep your restoration looking show-room new a lot longer.

mike

Return to “Electrical”