Battery draw

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
mcraeav
Bikes: 1962 Panhead

Battery draw

Post by mcraeav » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:03 pm

I just bought a new battery for my 62 FLH and thought I would check to see if there was any current draw before I hooked it up. With a full charge battery and everything turned off there is a .25 volt draw going somewhere? Any ideas.
Also notice the headlight and running light do not work?

steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: Battery draw

Post by steve_wood » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:44 pm

Are you measuring current from the battery (+ terminal) to the lead that connects to the + terminal?

If so, try disconnecting the lead from the "Bat" terminal of the voltage regulator. Test again for current draw. It should be zero. Re-connect the lead to the bat terminal. If you're getting 0.25 amps, then it sounds like a defective regulator.

Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Re: Battery draw

Post by Hauula Pan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:54 pm

Assuming the lights are good and still don't work I'd be taking a good look at your switch 1st and regulator 2nd and ground 3rd. I still run a 6 volt sys. with a relay and a stuck relay will drain a battery so I'm guessing a bad reg. will do it too. The main switch could be your problem too, the reason I'm saying look there is that you say the lights don't work and if the bulbs are good the switch is a good suspect. Be very careful about repop switches, most are junk. There are some good ones but most have lousy contacts even when new. I have found that the repop switches and relays can be bad right out of the box. Question though, were you reading a .25 volt or amp draw?? You can't really go by voltage reading its not a reliable indicator, you need to connect in-line and check for amps.

Return to “Electrical”