6 volt battery choices

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
64DUOGLIDE

6 volt battery choices

Post by 64DUOGLIDE » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:16 am

64 Duoglide with stock gen and repop delco regulator. System keeps the battery at around 6.2 volts.

What do we do these days for 6 volt stock replacement batteries? Had the current one about three years...time for a new one because of the mess!
It is the three cap design and my problem is acid all over the battery mount tranny top and chain! I have tried all kinds of silicone dams and such with no luck..the only time mine does not leak is when the level is so low that the plates are exposed! Of course then the voltage begins to drop...I tried two of the harley ones with the "tube" to direct the acid overflow about threee years ago, both died in a couple of days...I think my current one (three caps, no tube, H2 type) came from vtwin or JP...I run with the headlight on to hopefully lower the current going back to the battery, the problem is the acid puking...it seems to boil it out whenever it is over the plates at all...

Thanks
Leslie

awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: 6 volt battery choices

Post by awander » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:39 am

I have been using the stock Harley battery for the last 3 years-I have had no problem with (noticeable) leaks-the only think that;s a little funky is the way the overflow is attached, the tube can easily get kinked inside the battery box-if you install it carefully, you can route it so it does not get kinked.

The only problem I have had, was that I neglected to check the acid level in teh first battery, and after about 18 months discoverd it was really low in one cel. That battery was fried, so I had to get another one.

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:48 am

I put one of these Koyo "red-top" H2 in the '47 a while back. So far, so good, and no mess. The top of the plates in these appear to be a little lower in the case than the the ones that H-D or VTwin sell so the acid level is also lower in the case. I sawed the the external vent tube connection off of the outside of the case so it would fit in the battery box, no mess so far.

and I don't think you will beat their price anywhere else

mike

http://www.batteryservice.com/products_ ... Number=H-2

Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:06 am

2 battery options & 1 Idea about the acid, V-Twin has several different 6 volt batteries available now and a couple have vent tubes and will fit inside the oil tank mount without having to cut them off. There are also some glass ma,t sealed 6-volts available now, I will have to dig up the WEB sites and will post them as soon as I can find them again. OK for those still using wet cells like me, I attached a tube to the overflow vent and ran it down to the frame where I attached an acid catchment tank and vented that well away from everything with another tube. So far it works.

Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:31 am

OK I found one of the WEB sites for the Gel Cell 6 volt batteries, http://www.greatplainscycle.com/Batteries/6v18aGel.php I know there is another but I haven't been able to find it yet. I'll keep looking though.

Schwee
Bikes: 57 Pan, 42 WLA

Post by Schwee » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:48 pm

I use one of these in my old flatty:
http://www.frys.com/product/3002509?sit ... IN_RSLT_PG
$17 - Replace every 18 months or so.

awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:18 pm

Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:48 pm

NOTE: There is a huge difference between a, ("Sealed" Lead Acid) battery and AGM Glass Mat and Gel Cell batteries. You need to understand how each works before you choose what's right for your application. Also take a close look at the amp hour ratings and make sure you get one that matches up with your application. a 4 amp hour vs a 14 or 18 amp hour is a big difference. You need to know what kind of load you'll be putting on it and choose one that can handle it. Also if vented acid and gasses is your only concern with a regular lead acid bat. you can always run the vent line to an acid catch tank and run a second vent line from that away from your nice chrome and painted parts.

Return to “Electrical”