Volt Tech replica generator puking

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Sidecar

Volt Tech replica generator puking

Post by Sidecar » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:49 pm

Description: Has anyone had any experience with these ??

I've got a Volt Tech 12 volt replica generator that I believe has puked.
Has anyone had any experience with these ??
While riding the bike, the battery was discharging and when I shut it off I noticed that the idiot light was on. By then the battery was so low, I couldn't get it started.
I don't think it was the relay. I thought that the generator was making more noise than it should, but I had nothing to compare it to. I haven't ripped it off the bike yet. I'm looking for opinions on what to look for first.
Yep, the bike left me stranded again. My hats off again to Tedd's for selling these wonderful replica kits !!!!

dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Re: Volt Tech replica generators

Post by dirtydistrict » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:37 am

Hi Dirt, when it is still on the bike, did you check the charging rate with a voltmeter ? you should read around 14v when you rev it. After, check the brushes and these little springs that sometime get stuck, you could also check for a short circuit in the armature. What kind or relay do you have ? a "Bosh" style ?, they may be reliable but i throw mine away for a cycle electric one that works much better.
About the strange noise that could be the pinion gear loosen or ready to or a worn out roller. Guys, other ideas ???

kell

Post by kell » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:40 pm

Could be your voltage regulator. Disconnect it. Put a fresh battery in the bike and start it. Connect a 12 volt bulb across the generator terminals. If it burns real bright and finally burns out when you rev the bike high enough you've got juice, and the generator's ok. Then it's time to start looking at regulators and relays and stuff.

dirtydistrict

Post by dirtydistrict » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:14 am

Sorry Sidecar..i called you "dirt", but was really you I was talking to...not me

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:37 pm

No Problem Dirt...
I know that sometimes the thoughts go faster than the fingers on the puter.
I haven't done anything with the bike yet. It's supposed to rain all weekend here. I figured that this would be a good time to mess with it.
I sure hope that the S&S motor is ok on this bike. I've been replacing and fixing stuff on this bike since I got it on the road. There can't be much left to fix !!!!!
I'm past the stage of getting pissed off. I just look at it and walk away for a couple of days. I'm looking forward to the days that don't require fixing stuff. Maybe a little adjusting/tweaking only. I can't ride this thing anywhere without taking a cell phone !!!! I'm wearing my trailer out !!!

I'm shooting for a good next summer !

dirtydistrict

Post by dirtydistrict » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:01 am

Hey sidecar, EACH time i was riding without my tool pouch i had trouble, seems it works like a talisman. I about to think about wearing it around my neck for everyday trouble...a good ol' 7/16 can't be wrong.
When everything is, at last, fixed you will see a stoopid smile on your face. BRING THAT PAN ON THE ROAD ;D

DuoDave

Post by DuoDave » Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:06 am

Sounds like you are having more than your fair share of problems, Sidecar. Look on the bright side. You have a whole long cold winter ahead of you to sort things out. There will be quite a number of us out in our garages, freezing our tails off, taking the skin off our knuckles when the wrench slips, and generally cursing the day we even thought of buying such a heap of useless junk. But when spring rolls around again, the sun is shining and the old hog is running sweet, ( she will be by then, don't worry.) it will all be worth while. Stick with it, chum!

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin » Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:34 pm

The relay/generator thing is probably the problem. The relay going out first may have done the generator in. My suggestion is to get a new relay/generator. Go to electrical "home" for this marriage. Call "Cycle Electric", Englewood, Ohio (937) 884-7300 and speak with God, as District suggested and relax, your questions and worries will be over. Stick with Cycle Electric and their products. Stay in the boat. Do Not Get Out Of The Boat.*
*Or risk being chased by a Sumatran tiger.

dirtydistrict

Post by dirtydistrict » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:56 am

F...g god damned right: rule number one on the Nung river.
You could have trouble with Zip Nolan as he can't stand a Pan that don't properly works....

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:00 pm

Sorry for the long delay in responding.
Turns out that the relay was stuck. Filed down the pit marks/ burnished the contacts and away we go.
Genny was put on the bench and tested fine.
I more month to go and the bike is going to get taken apart for;

Belt primary
New paint
Saddle bags
New pipes
Tranny work ( I'm takin the ratchet top off and going to original style )

When spring gets here I wanna play!
After it gets done, I'll see if I can get some pictures up in case anyone might be interested.

Return to “Electrical”