Generator Wiring

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Generator Wiring

Post by Eric » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:01 pm

I have a Cycle Electric generator with the regulator on the end. I have wired the bike as a 1954. The problem I have is where the Red, Black, and Green wires go. The red wire comes from the switch and if I try to hook it to the "A" terminal it blows the fuse. Every thing I find says the red wire goes here. Any thoughts or ideas on why this is happening? I have two terminals on the generator marked "A" and "F" and one terminal on the regulator.
Thanks
Eric

lockdoc
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Re: Generator Wiring

Post by lockdoc » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:12 am

You didn't say what regulator you have but the one I had that had the same color wires went like this:

Red to 'A' terminal
Green to 'F' terminal
Black to positive battery.
Generator light to 'A' terminal

If you have the kind that only has green and red wires and a post on the regulator it is the same except positive battery goes to the post on the regulator.

Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Post by Eric » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:21 pm

Thanks lockdoc,
I have an electronic regulator and even the paper work I got says to hook it up with Red wire to "A" but when I do it blows the fuse. The Red wire is always hot so putting it on the "A" grounds it out. The second suggestion sounds pliable but I sure do want to fry the things.
Thanks
Eric

Ripley/Fla
Ex-member

Post by Ripley/Fla » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:19 pm

Cycle Electric has a decent website. I was able to trouble shoot my generator with only a voltmeter - proving my Electric Franks regulator had bit the dust. The main dude at Cycle Electric is a good guy. Get him involved if possible.

lockdoc

Post by lockdoc » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:56 pm

I'm trying to understand your description in your first post. You said your red wire is coming from the switch. If so, that is NOT the one that goes to the 'A' terminal. That would be your positive battery voltage. That would go to the black wire of your regulator if you have a black, red and green wire coming from your regulator. Then red from the regulator to 'A', Green to 'F'.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:01 am

The the regulator has two wires coming out and are attatched to the genrator and the regulator has one terminal on it. I have the red wire coming out of my switch and a black one from the light and a green one. Sorry about the confusion but I really appreciate the help.
Thanks
Eric

lockdoc

Post by lockdoc » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:54 am

Eric,

Your posts have been a bit confusing as you only state parts of the wiring per post. It would be helpful to know all of it at one time. From what you posted so far this is what I have come up with. If you are wired as a 54 you will have had two power wires going to the generator which would have been a three brush unit. A green and a red. Red being constant voltage from the battery via the switch. The green would only have voltage when the lights were on. Your Cycle Electric generator will be a two brush instead of a three brush generator. That being said you will NOT use the GREEN wire from the switch. It will be removed or capped. The RED wire from the switch will go to the terminal on the REGULATOR. The two wires coming from the regulator will go to the generator. I assume there will be either a RED and GREEN wire or a BROWN and GREEN wire. The BROWN or RED will go to the 'A' terminal. GREEN to the 'F' terminal. The BLACK wire from the generator light will go to the generators 'A' terminal.

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:45 am

lockdoc
You are great! Sorry for all the confusion but your last post fix my problem. I have built this bike from pieces and really not familiar with all the jargon and many different set ups. But now lokking back I see what you are talking about. I really appreciate your time and patients.
Eric

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:09 am

lockdoc
Ben haveing module problems but finally got that fixed. Cranked it up and your suggestion on the wiring was right on the money. Generator is charging like it's suppose to.
Thanks Again
Eric

lockdoc

Post by lockdoc » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:06 am

Your welcome. Glad to hear you got her fired up.

Return to “Electrical”