Electrical issues: high voltage regulator

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
ells_panhead

Electrical issues: high voltage regulator

Post by ells_panhead » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:43 am

Hello to everyone.
I actually registered a couple of years ago, but due to things beyond my control here I am. I have a 65 FLH, Cycle Electric generator with built in regulator. I just had my bike shipped from the states to me in South Korea (I am A US Soldier). On the first ride with the lights on the bike started to cut out and then died. I kicked it over and ran with no lights. I check the Cycle Electrics website and tried their voltage check (with the B terminal disconnected) and the voltage was about 16.50 volts while running (this is ok according to CE). The battery while running was at just under 12 volts and when I turned the lights on it went down to 7.00 volts (continuing to go down). There are two of what I think relays under the battery box? Other than tearing apart and tracing wires, what can or should I do?
I read the threads when I can because I have learned so much about my pan,
Thank You

Andy

mbskeam

Re: Electrical issues

Post by mbskeam » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:13 am

hello,
I think it's your reg. mine did the same thing few years ago. it was a CE reg. I called them and they took it back as it was still under warranty.
To test the gen I hooked up a spare reg from my 60 caddy this way I was able to check voltage output from the it.
it now has a electric franks on it . with the CE as a spare.
the thing that I think that kills these electronic regs is when you start messin with the electrics it can fry them. So I now have a spade connector at the reg, that I unhook when I have do electrical work.
how old is your setup if it is under 2 years it should be under warranty.
mbskeam

O..... by the way thanks, I dont know what the army motto is but...... SEMPERFI

ells_panhead

Post by ells_panhead » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:14 pm

Hooaah,

I checked the voltage output from the B (battery terminal) according to CE webpage. It is producing 16.60 volts at idle. But this is not going to the battery. I don't know where the line runs from when it leaves the B terminal, but the 16.60 is going somewhere. This was cold and I read that this is when it will produce the highest output. When I bought the bike in 2001, there was a problem with the regulator and the dealer sent it back to CE and they repaired it at no cost. I think it is producing the right amount but it is lost somewhere between the generator and the battery.

Thank You

Andy

ells_panhead

Post by ells_panhead » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:56 pm

The regulator is built in to the end of the generator, so I guess if the B terminal is producing 16.60 volts, this is what the regulator is allowing?

Andy

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:57 pm

ellspanhead
Electics are fun stuff, Ya . I would check to see if your Battery is good and fully charged first , I don't care how new it is ! Are you checking voltage at the Batt. plus side to see what your Batt. is getting from your Reg. . If your putting out that much voltage and not getting to your Batt. you need to trace the wires from the Reg. to make sure its not shorted or open ( broken wire ) . The relay under your Batt. is the starter relay and may be a old Reg. that was not removed when it was changed over to built in one , you did say there were a couple of them under there . Good luck over there!

ells_panhead

Post by ells_panhead » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:14 am

Thank you,
I will trace the wire and let you know what I find.

Andy

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:14 am

hello,
I think that fourthgear is leading you in the right direction.I was looking in my sevice book in the elect. section, and what is on my bike.
On my bike the hot lead from the reg. goes to the elec. conector box behind the coil, connects to stud 38 with a lead going to the batt. and the other going to ign. switch term. 1

The reason I know this is because the wire that hooks behind the coil broke once before.It got corroded and the conector did not crimp very well.So it broke, it looked okay untill you pulled on it, and the multi meter told me that it was open from that point.

If you find that the batt. and wires check out. you can full field your gen. I can post a sheet from my caddys service manual.if you need info(it is the best step by step that I have found)

you do have a service manual for your bike,you will need this.
mbskeam

ells_panhead

Post by ells_panhead » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:07 am

Great,
I traced the wire from the generator B (battery) terminal all the way back to the battery and hidden behind the battery box and the oil tank was a fuse holder. The fuse was good, but the end towards the battery had no voltage. I changed the fuse holder and put a new fuse just for luck and all is good! Now I,m getting 16.60 (cold) at the battery.

Thanks for all of the help!

Andy

kell

Post by kell » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:12 am

Just a slight digression here, then you all can go back to helping ellspanhead.
Mbskeam, nice point about the Caddy regulator. On my bike I use a regulator from a Delco 10 SI alternator, which GM cars from the seventies used. It only cost $10, but was kind of a pain to hook up because it is an internal regulator. Was thinking about getting an external regulator from a sixties GM or Chrysler. I suppose your 60 Caddy regulator is external to the generator. Does it require a special connector? And is it cheap?

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:36 am

hello,
Ells.....16.60 seams a little high, but if it drops off after a few min of running then it is prob. ok. CE regs will do this, high output when cold and then drop off as thing warm up.

Is this with your lights on (max load) 16.6 volts will cook the batt. if it stays at this voltage, this is the perfect reason to go for a ride. take the meter with you and check it out while out on your putt.

how is the weather in korea this time of year?

Kell.... I was using the reg off of the caddy for testing only,I hooked it up with test leads and the reg on the shop floor. It is the old style delco with the 3 term. on it . nice and simple to hook up.yes it was cheap because it came with the parts caddy I bought. Just add another to my car garden. this is my next major project Or chopin my 66 honda 305. what do you think........60 cad or 305?
mbskeam Chop the Caddy man!!!

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:33 am

Mbskeam-

My thoughts would be to chop the 60 caddy's top 4" lower, & lower the whole car about the same. 8-)

Had a 59 Caddy w/air ride (factory) that had a leak & if it sit about 3 days, it would be 'slammed to the ground'
Used to have to run the motor & the air slowly pumped it back up. In a hurry once & didn't wait. Started to pull out & pulled the muffler right OFF..... ;) Heh! Heh!

ells_panhead

Post by ells_panhead » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 am

Update

The weather over here is cold, single digits at night and high mid to high 20s to low 30s. Snow every now and then.

Anyways, Battery level before starting: 12.25
after starting no lights: 14.60
after starting with lights on (high idle):13.50
idle: 12.20

I think this is where it should be. No trouble during the test ride (about 30 miles city driving) with the lights on.
Thank you all for your help. Riding safe as possible in Korea!

Ellspanhead

King

Post by King » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:08 pm

Hi Ellspanhead

Sounds like you have a good handle on the generator problem.

I bet your Pan is a rare bird in Korea. There are none on the Register (unless they are hiding in the “Other” category) and only one guy from Korea that I know of has posed a message on this site. I think he was from Pusan.

I don’t know where you are stationed, but if you get to Camp Humphreys look up the bros at the Auto Hobby Shop, major Harley scene there. Last June I got to tour around the mountains near Wonju while working out of Camp Long and found that area to be very scenic (like our Smokey Mountains ) with good twisty roads.

Good luck on your tour and good rides.

King

suicideshovel65

Post by suicideshovel65 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:44 am

Take care riding in the cities though - it was nuts when I was over there late last year. And some of the contraptions the delivery guys had fabricated for their bikes were something else.

Great food though...

Cheers,

S.

ells_panhead

Post by ells_panhead » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:58 am

I'm stationed in Suwon, but I make it down to Camp Humphreys on occasion. The next time I go there I'll make it a point to stop by the Auto Shop. I do turn alot of heads as I ride. I guess any Harley over here does that and the pan just does it a little better.

Ells

Return to “Electrical”