More electrical problems

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
PhilB

More electrical problems

Post by PhilB » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:40 am

My repop pan will not put out enough juice to keep the battery charged! Everything is new! The generator is the electronic type (12v), and my shop guys are telling me that I need to convert it to an alternator! It has an electric starter which is also brand new. It doesnt seem to put out enough juice to keep the battery level up to start the bike after about 30-40 min of riding. The bike runs with the low beam on all the time and I have a one bulb tail light and a one bulb license plate light. The gen puts out 12.8v when running and all the wiring and connections are new, soldered and heat shrinkwrapped. It holds a charge when shut off but seems to discharge when running!
I cannot believe that the gen cannot put out enough to run the bike with lights without the battery going dead!
Any suggestions for this problem (besides a new shop)! ???

P.S. It will kick over on one kick even when the battery is too low spin the starter!

Billy

Re: More electrical problems

Post by Billy » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:10 am

65 thru 69 run Generators & have Electric start & didn't need alternators.
Something's obviously not right!
You said my 1 suggestion....

Demoman
Bikes: 60 FL
64 FLH

Post by Demoman » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:13 am

Phil, double check your battery. All of my past electrical problems were the result of a bad battery even though it was new. It read fine on a meter without a load and when it was running. But as soon as you turned the bike on or off after a run the battery was low on juice.

Steve

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Post by Jack_Hester » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:04 am

PhilB -

I once owned a cherry 65 Pan, that I restored for myself. It would crank one time with the electric start. Always cranked easy afterwards, with the kickstart. Ran good. Kept charged well to run the lights, as we have to run them all the time in N. Carolina. I would put it on the trickle charger when I got home, and it would crank one time, the next morning. Never more than once. Never enough charge in the battery to do it more than that. It had the original starter motor. It may have done better if I had installed a later Japanese starter.

Jack

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:59 pm

Well it is now a real problem! I left it on the trickle charger last night and now it is completly dead! The battery is hot and the generator is hot and there is absolutly no electricity in the battery (brand new)! The charger was on green (charged) when I went to bed and was on full charge when I got up!
Now what? Did I cook the battery and generator?

Yikes!

OK! New battery and the bike runs! But with the ignition off, it is 12.8- with the bike running, it is 12.3! I ran about 40 miles and had to push it the last 4 blocks-dead as a stump! I through it on the charger for 30 min and it seems fully charged!?! The bike is discharging the battery as it runs and I cannot figure it out. It is a Cycle-Electric Low Voltage generator. It is really hot here and the last few blocks required a bunch of cold ones!

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:38 am

Did you "polarize it" after the New battery install ??
sounds like it's dis-charging running. That is what Polarizing corrects.
I'm not sure the "low voltage gen". is the ticket for the E. Start. They need more recharging to the battery.
It doesn't sound correct, at all. Should be a hi-voltage gen.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:19 am

Thanks, Billy but the guy at Cycle Electric said that those generators did not need to be polarized and he also said that the lo and hi voltage gens were actually the same generator! I think he was full of it! The generator charged the battery with the electric start before I had all the work done so either the generator is not putting out (my guess) or it needs to be polarized or something as the wiring is all new and right (I'll need to look up the instructions for that some where). The shop guy I had do this work had the generator appart as he had pulled the generator case off of it so he could get to the front engin mount bolt and then re-assembled the generator. I guess that the generator is not putting out at all or it would have kept running on the ride home!
How tough is it to polarize the generator?

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:11 am

hello, this post is getting good now, check to see if it is charging at running speed it should put out 13.5to14.7 volts with a cycle elec reg.. Why did your wrench mess with the gen. this way? was it working before you took it to him? , if so then have him stand behind his work and fix it right.even if you have to get to moter mount bolt under gen a wrench will fit in there if the bolt is put in from the top (not the stock way) or if its from the bott. and has stock nut then he should not have had to mess with gen. sounds like gen prob. something internall
mbskeam

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:20 am

I think you are right about the generator. My wrench is a new tech guy who does not seem to know much about the generators. When the bike is running and the gen is disconnected from the bike, it put out 14v but when the wire is connected, it drops down to 12.3-12.4! What is up and what is the polarize thing?

kell

Post by kell » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:09 am

Your wrench took the whole generator apart to get it out of the way when he could have simply undone two mounting screws and pulled it off. Am I missing something?

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:55 am

Sounds scary huh Kell ?? Surprised

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:09 pm

Now that I am sufficiently humbled, how do I polarize this gen to see if that fixes the problem! (Before I make my wrench buy me a new generator)! Pusing a bike down the street on a HOT, HOT Florida Sunday afternoon is not something I want to repeat!

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:00 pm

PhilB, Sorry for not getting right back,
Just take a piece of wire & I turn on the key & flash the Batt term. & the Gen. Term. together on the reg. It will spark, but hold it for 2 seconds.
That's it.
Then re-test your gen. output...
If it's charging, you may just need a hi- output reg. For the E.Start.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:43 pm

Thanks, Billy! I'll give it a shot tonight and see how it goes!

To be continued!

shaker

Post by shaker » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:52 am

i took my12v gen off again today 3rd, time. done the mica cut, cleaned every thing up found a pinched feld wire fixed it thought i had fount the source of all my electric greef, took it to a shop for testing without the reg on it , it put out 22 amp. with the solid state low voltage reg on it, it went down to 12 amp, the man said good to go , brought it home bolted it on still gen light burns when light s are on , done checked all wires , this is just my idea but i think the little 5.5 amp battery is just not big enough .think i will try to fix up my 6v gen put on a solid state reg and go from there, just my 2

Return to “Electrical”